. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Have it come to Goole which his the most inland sea port. I have a warehouse there so I'll pop down to docks and pick it up but you'll never see it again. .

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post

Indeed, now that I've looked at it...it is (I'm a bloke that brings in a bit of stuff from abroad, that doesn't make me a 'shipping lanes of the UK' expert!) , still it appears to cater for small ships...not trans-ocean liners!
    Not just small ships, in the 80's for some celebration they had a US nuclear sub sail up it right to Manchester.
    IIRC the average depth is 90 foot.
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by motoxy View Post
    But if your buying on a budget then it can cope with sampans and junks

huh?..........

Importing via sea can be a whole different ballgame to air.

What your probably looking for is Less than Container Load, LCL, your in a shared container so there is unloading and clearance charges this end, UK, in addition to VAT, duty and the actual shipping charge.

Have a google and a read of some of the business forums and talk to a couple of UK shipping/logistics agents, cost varies wildy, couple of calls is always worthwhile.

Cheers
    Adam

Thanks for the info.

One other thing, the company emailed this morning asking if my country requires me to be a business to import by sea.

Is this true or false, in the UK do i have to be a registered business to have things imported by sea or can i be just anyone?

Thanks

Craig

You dont need to be a registered business ,freight forwarders and HMRC are happy to take anyones money, but do talk to some freight forwarding/ logistics outfits, there is a lot of shipping coming in from the Far East and it is possible to get costs down a lot.

You don`t want to be in this position:

http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/fo...d.php?t=155805

Cheers
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by motoxy View Post
    But if your buying on a budget then it can cope with sampans and junks
    Thanks for that,

I'll give the seaport a call in the morning, its looking like maybe getting it shipped by air maybe a cheaper option?

They want around £250 for air shipping + vat

Quote Originally Posted by craigrobbo View Post
    They want around £250 for air shipping + vat
    No contest compared to the sea option.
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Not just small ships, in the 80's for some celebration they had a US nuclear sub sail up it right to Manchester.
    IIRC the average depth is 90 foot.
    MSC is quoted as having a depth of 8.78 = 28.8feet, of course the average may be more ;-)

Using a UK shipping agent is the easy answer, they are employed by you and report to you and can tack on delivery options as required within the UK. Easy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information