. .

Thread: few questions.

I'm looking to get something I can use T-Nuts in for my bed, I was thinking the 16x160 from this site

the size of my bed is about 320x420 so a metre of it should be fine. will something like this be suitable to hold a heavy vice?

the extrusion would sit on top of 10mm aluminium plate.

I'm also looking to get a vice, but I'd quite like to get one with a corner on it. So I could flip work over with out having to zero one axis.

Anyone know where I could find one? or do I just have to modify a normal vice?

I'd ideally want it to be under £50..

I recently made a clutch lever for my motorbike, but the edges were quite sharp and uncomfortable. I want to be able to make the corners/edges curves. I'm guessing I would need a ball end mill and take lots of passes moving outward slowly to make it curved?

I'm use vcarve but I'm unsure as to how I could do it in that, if you could suggest some software that can do it or how to do it in vcarve then that would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by jcb121 View Post
    I'm looking to get something I can use T-Nuts in for my bed, I was thinking the 16x160 from this site

the size of my bed is about 320x420 so a metre of it should be fine. will something like this be suitable to hold a heavy vice?

the extrusion would sit on top of 10mm aluminium plate.

I'm also looking to get a vice, but I'd quite like to get one with a corner on it. So I could flip work over with out having to zero one axis.

Anyone know where I could find one? or do I just have to modify a normal vice?

I'd ideally want it to be under £50..
    This light 16x160 stuff works ok but you have to be carefull not to over tighten the nuts else it lifts and distorts the edges. Better is the 28 x160 but it's expensive.
    I made my bed using strips of 16mm Ali spaced 10mm apart giving 45mm centre spacing and even at 16mm I can make them bend when clamping stuff down so my advice is go with the thicker stuff.

Edit: Oh and £50 won't get you much of a vice.!!

I recently made a clutch lever for my motorbike, but the edges were quite sharp and uncomfortable. I want to be able to make the corners/edges curves. I'm guessing I would need a ball end mill and take lots of passes moving outward slowly to make it curved?

I'm use vcarve but I'm unsure as to how I could do it in that, if you could suggest some software that can do it or how to do it in vcarve then that would be great!

V carve should cut the 2.5D toolpaths no problem but will be very hard work to draw the 3D model so suggest you use a dedicated CAD program like Solidworks,Rhino,Viacad etc to make the job much easier then import into Vcarve to creat the toolpaths.
    Obviously it wil be a 2 sided cut so some indexing will be required to get perfectly back in place when flipped and tabs to hold everything in place but with a little planing nothng to difficult and something Vcarve should easily handle.

Do a second pass with a corner rounding cutter
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Do a second pass with a corner rounding cutter
    I think he'll want a more shaped lever John just rounding the corners will take the sharp edges off but motorbike levers are very shaped so guessing this is what he's after.?

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I made this easily, but the edges are sharp,

I want it to be more like this

I can't seem to find the 2.5d functions in vcarve, though the software is compatible with solid works so I'm gunna give that a go.

Johns rounding over bit suggestion would work easily enough for that lever using a profiling toolpath but only cutting the area of the bit that you grip and not the cable clamping area.

I would make a copy of the lever profile and paste on a new layer then cut away the bits you don't want and use these lines for the profile toopath to follow using an open vector option. . . . . Will be dead quick and simple.!!

Edit: You will still obviously need to do two sided indexed machining and tabs located half way thru the lever.!!

Thread Information