. .
  1. As the header states I am drilling through 12 mm of Acrylic and want to do so without melt. The holes are 2 - 3 mm dia. Just looking at different options to get the job done as effectively as possible.

Michael

A while ago I had to drill lots of 3mm holes through 12mm Nylon, so a similar situation. The problem is since the thermal conductivity of plastics is much lower than metals, most of the heat generated transfers into the drill - so the drill will soon overheat, causing the plastic to melt and ultimately break the drill. I did it by peck drilling using something close to the recommended feed-rate by G-wizard. The problem when peck drilling with a small peck depth (e.g 3mm) a significant amount of time is wasted by the drill retracting fully out of the hole which isn't required for this. So instead I substituted the drill commands for code to only retract by a small amount - for instance keep doing 3mm down, 1mm back up, 3mm down, 1mm back.. etc until the full depth is reached.
    Clearly it's not worth altering the code for only a few holes or only one part, but it can save a lot of time otherwise.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

What I've found when working with acrylic is that there's two types ....cast acrylic (which doesn't melt easily) & extruded acrylic (which is twatful for melting & gumming up the drill/end mill)...so my first top tip would be to make sure you buy only cast acrylic for using with CNC/drilling etc.

If you still end up with melting using cast acrylic, the only other thing I could suggest is to first drill with say a 2.8mm drill (and due it to doing all the work, may result in some melting of the acylic), then take out the final 0.2mm by using a 3mm bit ...because it's not having to do much work you can therefore descend quickly & stop any melting (kind of like a final pass)

Thread Information