. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    4 for steel - frame steel, Z-axis aluminium plate.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    4 for steel - frame steel, Z-axis aluminium plate.
    Ahhh now i never even considered the 'Z plate' and i suppose fixings/mounts but still constructed from steel so thats 4 for steel..

Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

I'm building a machine at the moment. I've gone for a mixture.

Where alu profile is handy I think, is being able to thread directly into the end of the profile (steel box section is hollow down the middle of course). So for example if you want to make an 'L' shape, you can bolt through the side of the steel section into the threaded end of the profile. Does that makes sense? That's my plan anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
    I'm building a machine at the moment. I've gone for a mixture.

Where alu profile is handy I think, is being able to thread directly into the end of the profile (steel box section is hollow down the middle of course). So for example if you want to make an 'L' shape, you can bolt through the side of the steel section into the threaded end of the profile. Does that makes sense? That's my plan anyway.
    makes sence to me, and I can see a pattern emerging here, lets run with it in the hope that other people chip in.

Draw here maybe
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Lives in Chesterfield, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 07-11-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 19.
    Couldnt have put it better myself, nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Couldnt have put it better myself, nuff said.
    so the final score is 4.5 steel and .5 ali then??

I know it's a little late to weigh in but anyway...

If I tried to use a welder in my current workspace my wife would beat me to a bloody pulp. Whatever I use there has to be built in situ so I can't weld it up outside and bring it in. Oh and I don't have a welder and I have no idea how to use one if I did! Using profile I can easily get it up into the workshop and work on it.

While steel may be a better material for the mill itself, alu can be a better material for the shedless city dweller with a converted attic for a workshop

Flaming hell... Just as I'm approaching the end of version-6 of my design, ensuring everything in the frame is made from alu extrusion and plate, this pops into my field of view for the first time suggesting that steel is THE material of choice!

Anyway, welding in the caravan would probably be a no-no... And alu should look prity....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information