. .

Thread: Which cnc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi everyone ,
    I asked this forum a while ago what cnc should I buy , a Chinese one or have one made . I have £4000 and I want a cutting area of 1220 x1220 .
    so I went and bought a Chinese one gm cnc and I wish I hadn't as I took it back 2 days later for a full refund , I have my refund and I'm looking for a decent cnc router good enough and accurate enought to build furniture and one off shop fittings .

I live in the midlands so travelling to see machines running isn't a problem , I just don't want to spend my hard earns on junk , all info would be greatly appreiciated as I'm new to all cnc machining ,
    thanks

What do you think to this on eBay 270995632021 if you have a minute to look at it as I'm too busy to build one , even if I had an idea to build one I haven't the time
    thanks
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 22-06-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Doesn't look bad and Worksop is only 3/4 of an hour away.
    I'd make the trip and see.
    John S -

Will do And thanks for your time

I will go have a look

No prices on the site, so probably too expensive, but this has all the features I mentioned:

http://www.maxicamglobal-cnc.com/MAXI-S%201224.html
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

It's certainly worth a look. It's better than most, however the X-axis drive is worrying:

'All machines have Ballscrew x axis with rotating ballnut'

Having a rotating ballnut is excellent for good feedrates, but the description and photo appear to show only one ballscrew on the X-axis. This will severely compromise the rigidity of the machine. Think what happens when the tool is cutting towards the ends of travel on the Y-axis - there is a force pushing the gantry, but the support (i.e. the ballscrew/nut) is a long distance away so it will bend and 'rack' the gantry. If you're only cutting MDF then you would get away with it, but it will still limit your productivity and surface finish. For £5k you should be able to do better than that. This is a typical example of the manufacturer trying to save money since it would cost them (very roughly) £250 more to add another ballscrew and motor (has to have another motor as rotating nut).

The only person whose objective is to ensure you have a high quality machine is yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    For £5k you should be able to do better than that. This is a typical example of the manufacturer trying to save money since it would cost them (very roughly) £250 more to add another ballscrew and motor (has to have another motor as rotating nut).

The only person whose objective is to ensure you have a high quality machine is yourself.

I disagree with this strongly. it looks a nice machine, well made and made in the UK so higher costs.
    There is a limit where a manufacturer can throw in all the bells and whistles and still make a profit to stay in business.
    Jonathan's estimate of £250 is insane as he's only counted the cost of the screw, nut and motor.

Now throw in all the mounting hardware, driver, building up etc and that £250 is no where near.

Presumably Jonathon you are paying business rates on that 100' x 80' shed in your back garden just as you are reporting everything you earn to the revenue ?

It's a no win situation, buy Chinese and it's crap no matter what level you buy at, buy British and you are getting ripped off and attacked by the garden shed brigade wanting to buy everything for nothing but sell their product at high prices.
    John S -

9. The Following User Says Thank You to John S For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Now throw in all the mounting hardware, driver, building up etc and that £250 is no where near.
    I did say very roughly. From eBay a 1500mm ballscrew with the bearing mounts is £115 but he's using a rotating nut so the bearings will be more expensive - call it £160. One additional 3Nm motor and 80V driver is £75 max. Better PSU needed, another £15 to supply the extra motor. Another two pulleys and a belt, £15. That's 160+75+15+15=£265 so I think very roughly £250 was a reasonable statement as clearly I wasn't including labour.

Presumably Jonathon you are paying business rates on that 100' x 80' shed in your back garden just as you are reporting everything you earn to the revenue ?
    I might not pay revenue but I do pay VAT.

It's a no win situation, buy Chinese and it's crap no matter what level you buy at, buy British and you are getting ripped off and attacked by the garden shed brigade wanting to buy everything for nothing but sell their product at high prices.
    Who said anything about charging a high price? Imo the prices charged in the CNC industry are usually extortionate. I try to lead by example by charging around £6-£7 per hour for time. My objective is education, interest and not making a loss, not looking after other people's profits.

Why not ask them how much to add a second ballscrew? They might say it's too much work to change the design, but it can't hurt to ask.

Also in the listing there is far less information than there should be. It doesn't look like any of the pictures have the actual machine that listing is selling - the AR1200. Some of the bigger ones have vacumm bed and other nice things, you can bet that costs more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post

I might not pay revenue but I do pay VAT.

Who said anything about charging a high price? Imo the prices charged in the CNC industry are usually extortionate. I try to lead by example by charging around £6-£7 per hour for time. My objective is education, interest and not making a loss, not looking after other people's profits.
    So you pay VAT on the £6 -£7 per hour you charge then ?

I have no objection with what has been said about the ballscrew just how costing is worked out.
    You are working out of a shed that mummy and daddy are paying all the expenses for and you are trying to tell registered business's how to do their job ?
    John S -

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information