. .

Thread: Ambitious newby

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Hello I have absolutely no exerience in machining, but I have designed an engine that I would like to build and want to know everything I need to know in order to build it. I know this sounds incredibly ambitious but I have an IQ of 140, nothing but time on my hands and a big chunck of money comming my way. If anybody would like to tell me what I need starting with books or websites to read and then what tools I should get and what materials I need, I'm all ears. Of course I will be doing as much research on my own as I can but nobody seems to put information out in the form that would benefit me most.
    Thank you
    Brett R. Sanko

if i had an IQ of 141 i guess i would know what type of engine your after building... gas turbine, two stroke, four stroke, steam, wankel

designing and making a two or four stroke is no real big issue in principle, getting it to run for more than five minutes without it self destructing can be a bit rocket science

a manual mill and a lathe would see you through building a two or four stroke (belt driven cam's) and maybe a wankel if you add cnc

give us an idea as to type and use

Actually it's none of those, take a look at the google sketchup 3D library, I uploaded it as the Sanko Engine, if you're interested. It is simple like a 2 stroke (no moving valves or camshafts), and it is also a diesel, so no spark plugs either. It is a boxer configuration with 4 cylinders but that doesn't tell the whole story. I'd like to make it out of aluminum. I will export some 2D drawings and post them.

Thanks for the response.

My Ex wife has An IQ in the 140 region but my Dog has more common sense and abilty to think out problems. She's the most intelligent dumby I know.. .

Mark sounds like Bretts designed the engine already but no idea how to turn it into reality.?

Brett in designing the engine you have done possibly less than 20% of the process towards a succesful engine. The hard and skillfull part starts now and no matter how intelligent if you havent got the skills to machine to high tolerences or the experience to R&D designs then your in for a long and expensive journey with high potential for disapointment.!!

My advice would be take the time to develope the engineering skills, maybe take some class's along side self development gaining hands on experience using own machines.
    High IQ along with library full of books giving all Theory in the world can't compare to time served on machines.

I don't think for one minute you won't succed but I do know it will be far longer journey than you possibly realise before you have the skills to build a succeful reliable working engine.!!

Good luck.!

Uhm, isn't that what I was asking for help in doing? You pretty much regurgitated what I already said with a large dose of negative attitude. I'm asking what tools I should start out with and your answer is to start out with my own tools? Does anyone have anything helpful to say? BTW Inteligence = problem solving ability. Inteligent people are often mistaken for fools because the people watching them aren't smart enough to understand their methods. Smart kids have trouble paying attention in school because school moves so slow that they aren't learning anything. Why does everyone assume that when someone asks how to do something they are expecting the answer to be easy. I have spent over 20 year perfecting this design, I wasn't expecting to learn how to build it in 6 months.

Nah your correct us negative dumbies know nothing.!! . . . 15yrs plus working in R&D for Honda I learnt nothing.!!

Good luck.!!

( Oh and my advice, the only advice possible given the sparse details, was seek training. With small amount of training you won't need to ask what are relatively basic questions that really any person of average intelligence could easily find out with just a simple google search.!! )

Quote Originally Posted by brsanko View Post
    Uhm, isn't that what I was asking for help in doing? You pretty much regurgitated what I already said with a large dose of negative attitude. I'm asking what tools I should start out with and your answer is to start out with my own tools? Does anyone have anything helpful to say? BTW Inteligence = problem solving ability. Inteligent people are often mistaken for fools because the people watching them aren't smart enough to understand their methods. Smart kids have trouble paying attention in school because school moves so slow that they aren't learning anything. Why does everyone assume that when someone asks how to do something they are expecting the answer to be easy. I have spent over 20 year perfecting this design, I wasn't expecting to learn how to build it in 6 months.
    easy Brett, dont mean to be negative and youll have to excuse jazz (yorkshireman)

iv had a look at your drawing... iv no idea how your porting those double combustion chambers or getting around the conection rod issue (cant picture it)
    i imagine it could be a tad complex to machine unless you design within the 2.5D machining limitations (a 4th axis might come in handy)
    the supercharger/turbo you describe is a big ask (you only have to look at a turbo funny and it will self destruct lol)
    two stokes are not so good with efficiency and unless you inject emissions will be poor and you will probably still get some leak through your open ports
    (8x injectors would take some doing)
    are you making a show piece ? proof of concept ? scale ?
    get some drawing up :)

im with jazz on the idea that it will be a long long road and there is a risk of running out of gumtion if you ask to much of yourself... iv got to admire your get up n go... just hope it lasts :)

Like I said I've been working on it off and on for 20 odd years. The model is 3D and disassembleable. Sorry if I got a bit short with anybody, having a rough day. I know it will be a long road and really wasn't thinking about making the turbo myself. I'll try to get the cutaway drawing posted.

I know I'll need to try a lot ofClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Sanko4.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	293.1 KB 
ID:	6206Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sanko1.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	264.5 KB 
ID:	6207Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sanko2.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	284.2 KB 
ID:	6208Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sanko3.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	308.3 KB 
ID:	6209 easier projects to begin with but I'm gonna have the money here in a few months so I figured now would be a good time to get the big equipment I'm gonna need before the money's all gone. Here are a few pics let me know what you would like to see closer. I do think that direct injection would be the only way to go with this along with fully computerized control of said injection.

Quote Originally Posted by brsanko View Post
    Uhm, isn't that what I was asking for help in doing? You
    pretty much regurgitated what I already said with a large dose of negative
    attitude. I'm asking what tools I should start out with and your answer is to
    start out with my own tools? Does anyone have anything helpful to say? BTW
    Inteligence = problem solving ability. Inteligent people are often mistaken for r
    fools because the people watching them aren't smart enough to understand their
    methods.
    <br><br><br>
    Last edited by Gunny; 29-06-2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: probably too harsh

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information