. .

Thread: Ambitious newby

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    There's something missing there, presume this is a simplified drawing. You can't run a round bar against a flat and ask it to push. You have to put a box around the bar so you have flats to do the rubbing.

brett, its allways a good idea to let people have a look at your drawings so they can pull them to bits :) try not to take any criticism personaly... most of us have had a go at re-inventing the wheel and if nothing else, the attempt is fun and beats watching eastenders :)

your crank looks to have no meaningful counterbalance
    your inner cylinder ports wont pull as much volume as your outer ports because of the con-rod obstruction (not sure if that would be a massive issue)
    the crank will have a very small footprint in that slot (not sure if that will last long)

iv not seen a two stoke with injection, i think understand the issues you are trying to solve with injecting but im also assuming that the reason we dont see it is to do with the optimum injection timing being during induction so it would follow that the exaust port would still be open during injection and you would still be left with the old issue of raw fuel escaping before the exaust port closes (im sure two srokes are being phazed out for that very reason, terrible imissions)

im reasonabley sure you could machine most of those parts with a lathe & cnc mill (im not overly confident on your design at this point though)
    Last edited by blackburn mark; 29-06-2012 at 12:23 PM.

BR i can see some issues with your design and position of TDC when firing happens. With everything being at opposing positions you will just end up with a pile of bits as it locks up upon detonation. I would look at a more traditional layout of the crankshaft myself? As for tools a Mill and a lathe is must for what you are doing. Buy the biggest you can get away with on your pocket and space. Allow plenty of time to learn the basics to save hundreds of hours screwing it up. Expect to spend more money on the consumables, hand tools and measuring devices than the machines.

The original question you asked is quite wide so list out:

1. what do you want to achieve (be completely honest)
    2. what kit and tools do you already have?
    3. what space do you have?
    4. do you want buy or build?
    5. estimate the time you want to complete your goals (then double it)

If you can come back with some of these answers people here maybe able to answer your questions. High IQ or not please ask the stupid questions or you will not get correct answers.

This hobby is very expensive so spend as much time reading where people have gone wrong before instead of looking at what looks shiny. Read lots and lots, read again and once you have done that go back and read it again.

"Children that run before they walk miss out on the detail they would have seen if they had crawled first" - My mothers words to my kids

Don't be afraid to experiment as long as you expect failure and can afford it. Failing can teach more than paying for training in some cases.
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
    easy Brett, dont mean to be negative and youll have to excuse jazz (yorkshireman)
    No need to make excuse's for me Mr blackburn If he can't workout the diffrence between negative attitude and Honest realistic advice then maybe he needs to take the test again.?? (Oh!!. . If he can't handle a Yorkmans to the point delivery then tuff.!!)

The most Ironic thing being that for the first 15yrs of working life (Excluding the 10-12yrs from the age 5-16 growing up has grease monkey in my uncles workshop!) my payed day job was mostly R&D engine devolpment and the last 15yrs spent honing my skills tuning and developing race engines for my other obsessive obession MotoX.!!. . . . CNC become another obsession thru the need to help aid in Engine development.!! . . So I find it rather funny he's managed to pissoff one of probably only a few people on this forum with real world experience of engine development. .. . . . . Anyway Crack on and F-A-B Brains.!!

5 1/2 inches, slightly below average, that's why I'm getting into engineering. I'm not trying to brag. just letting people know they don't have to baby talk to me and that I am capable of learning what I am asking about. This is the kind of discussion I was hoping to avoid. It doesn't matter how you approch these forums if you come in all humble and meek people assume you're an idiot and you won't get it anyway. If you want to coment on my tone or attitude go pester people on FB. I want to talk about machine work. If you act humble people get a big head and put you down, if you act confident people get insecure and put you down. I guess all forums are a waste of time and no matter where you go all you get is people trying to prove they are better than you. My God children grow up! I haven't put anyone down I haven't claimed to be smarter than anyone here. everything I have said has been relivant and I still get nothing but pissing contests from people I am asking for advice. If anyone is actually interested in helping me PM me. I can't put up with 40 year old 3rd graders.

Jazz, you haven't said anything usefull, and if you actually had any knowledge you would have been honored to have been asked for advice. But seeing as you couldn't think of anything useful to say you insted decided to discourage me and say absoutely nothing of any value in 3 long paragraphs. I don't want your help and I would appreciate it if you would refrain from reading my posts in the future. Any knowledge you might actually have is so clouded by your ego and negativity I don't think you could teach a dog to urinate.

Hi brsanko,
    Before starting building angine or anything else...First thing first...
    How much space have you got available as a workshop?
    What is your Machines + tools budget?
    his will determine what machine you can buy...

If you've got anought space, get a bridgeport... You can get one for not too much money. And these are good!

RNR
    Last edited by rnr107; 30-06-2012 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brsanko View Post
    5 1/2 inches, slightly below average, that's why I'm getting into engineering.
    Haha :). Is this an existing member on a windup?

Read this book cover to cover, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Model-Engine...1044128&sr=8-1 and then start by buying a lathe. The final chapter in the book covers this.

A combustion chamber at each end of the cylinder eh? :-)

Turbo charger direct drive on start up and clutch disengages once EGT reaches working temperature?

Scotch yolk?

Looks rather like a modified 'Bourke' engine...

Hmm... interesting.
    Last edited by mocha; 30-06-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brsanko View Post
    Jazz, you haven't said anything usefull, and if you actually had any knowledge you would have been honored to have been asked for advice. But seeing as you couldn't think of anything useful to say you insted decided to discourage me and say absoutely nothing of any value in 3 long paragraphs. I don't want your help and I would appreciate it if you would refrain from reading my posts in the future. Any knowledge you might actually have is so clouded by your ego and negativity I don't think you could teach a dog to urinate.
    Ok I'll ignore the insults for now they are wasted on me anyway I've thicker skin than that.!!

First at the time of posting given there was no information or designs on your engine my advice was relavent and practicle. High IQ alone doesn't mean you'll be a competent machinist or engineer which you'll need to be for such a project. . . Equally buying the biggest or most advanced machinery won't make up for a lack of skill.! . . .So seeking training his sound advice.!!

I could have said, like others have you need a Mill & Lathe (Personally thou a cyclindrical grinder would have been on the list.!!) but thats pritty lose advice and at the time of posting your needs unknown so didn't.

Now after seeing the design and given your clever attitude plus the insults the only advice I'm parting with is invest in CFD/1DGDS & FEA before any machinery.!! The next 10yrs redesigning should give you plenty of time to workout whats needed and gain some engineering skills.!

Has for the request for me to stop reading your posts then request Denied because I like a good laugh.!! . . . BUT I fully intend refraining from posting so you have a result there.!!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information