. .

Thread: Ambitious newby

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    You still seem to have the crankshaft running in bushings, assuming that's what the white pieces are? Surely you would want to use proper bearings, or is the temperature too extreme, doesn't seem likely? Fitting bearings seems a lot easier than making bushings and getting them all aligned.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I'd assume the ultimate aim would be to use plain bearings, just like a normal engine...

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    I'd assume the ultimate aim would be to use plain bearings, just like a normal engine...
    That's what I intended I just didn't do any research on what they look like.

Quote Originally Posted by brsanko View Post
    That's what I intended I just didn't do any research on what they look like.
    Fair enough, I thought rolling bearings were more commonly used in engines which now I've checked clearly isn't the case. There seems to be much discussion on various forums about their relative advantages and disadvantages.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Standard 'modern' plain bearings consist of two semi-circle shells of white-metal on an aluminium backing plate.

The white-metal acts as a temporary and sacrificial bearing surface in the case of no oil/metal to metal contact, as under normal circumstances there should be oil to provide a hydrostatic/fluid bearing.

The only modern engine where you're likely to find rolling bearings, are small two strokes.

There does that look better?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crankshaft.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	6277

I guess what I'm really hoping for here now, seeing as I won't be looking for any equipment for a few months yet, is whether there are aspects of this design (other than the supercharger, as I will most likely outsource that) that would be particularly challenging to machine, or that should be changed for the sake of ease of manufacture. And of course any comments as to particular design funcionality or practicallity. Don't be afraid that I'll get sore, I really do appreciate constructive critisizm just not statements like "it will be more work than you can handle" or "it just won't work". Thanks you've mostly been very helpful so far. I just reinstalled windows so I have to also reinstall Sketchup. As soon as I do that I will export a pic of the manifold I have drawn. I'm sure it's all wrong but I have to start somewhere. Let me know how to change it and what the best way to fabricate it would be. Is aluminum/iron casting beyond the scope of the home workshop? I sure hope not.

I wouldn't go as far as "better" :-) You may also want to invest something to deal with the lateral (axial) thrust on the crankshaft.

Could you explain your thinking regarding the 90 degree offset of the crankshaft?

Quote Originally Posted by mocha View Post
    Could you explain your thinking regarding the 90 degree offset of the crankshaft?
    I guess that was what others suggested in order to keep everything smooth and balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by mocha View Post
    I wouldn't go as far as "better" :-) You may also want to invest something to deal with the lateral (axial) thrust on the crankshaft.?
    Any suggestion as to what?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sanko5.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	6289Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sanko6.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	6290

Quote Originally Posted by brsanko View Post
    I guess that was what others suggested in order to keep everything smooth and balanced.
    Did say I liked a good laugh. .

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information