. .
    Hi folks, just stumbled across this while looking up information to build my own CNC machine (Router/Milling)
    My background is in IT, but I can also change a light bulb lol . Well slightly more really such as welding (Mig & Arc), electrical, basic electronics, woodworking and a few more , avid DIY'er so looking forward to getting to grips with a new build. Thanks for sharing all this wonderful info and advice and hopefully you won't kill me for asking loads of questions once I get my teeth stuck in to this new project:-)

welcome to the forum! i dont know how much help i can be to you but im sure you will find this forum to provide a wealth of information.
    don't forget to post a build thread when you get started!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jonnydeen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jonnydeen View Post
    welcome to the forum! i dont know how much help i can be to you but im sure you will find this forum to provide a wealth of information.
    don't forget to post a build thread when you get started!

will do jonny and thx for the welcome, just starting to club together the parts, me thinks this will be an extended build :-) btw I'm just down the road from you in Louth - any source up north for parts ?

Quote Originally Posted by polished View Post
    any source up north for parts ?
    nah. suppliers are thin on the ground (to my knowledge anyway) its hard enough to find decent material suppliers let alone components
    most stuff i get is from england and sometimes further afield

what exactly are you aiming to build?

im in the middle of a lathe rebuild and then im starting my first cnc mill conversion soon, but although im a cnc noob ill offer any help i can

louth village by chance? or just somewhere in co. louth?

In Ardee Jonny, first project will be router but building it as such that I can convert to plasma later on. One of many projects on the list coupled with a mini forge. Lathe is on the wishlist somewhere down the line as well as a decent mill for small fabrication. so will be looking forward to seeing the pics of the refurb :-)

Quote Originally Posted by polished View Post
    In Ardee Jonny, first project will be router but building it as such that I can convert to plasma later on. One of many projects on the list coupled with a mini forge. Lathe is on the wishlist somewhere down the line as well as a decent mill for small fabrication. so will be looking forward to seeing the pics of the refurb :-)
    mini forge... interesting, im planning on setting up a mini foundry for my up and coming mill project.
    the odd time i get wind of small lathes for sale locally, if you are looking for one i can keep my ears peeled

this is the lathe thread if your interested.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/showth...2239#post32239

router to plasma cutter, that sounds like an interesting concept

Cheers Jonny that would be great. Yes the Router to Plasma project lol, I want to make it in such a way that it would be just a case of changing the table underneath to swap out from one to the other depending on what I was working on and as there is no contact with the plasma to the material I would just need a base underneath(capable to being filled/drained with water). So if you imagine Samson and Goliath the H&W gantries and you roll in one base for routing and another for plasma quick bolt in place), or just one table with an interchangeable top and an interchangeable tool holder for the z. The design is still in my head so need to get it roughed to autocad/sketchup and then start figuring out material strengths etc. I even though about mounting rail to the floor of my shed for the Y that might be a step too far though lol.

Thread Information