. .

Thread: Hi from Leeds

Hi All,

I've just spent many days interwebbing this CNC Router thingy... left right and centre... x, y, and z... but think I've finally found most things in one knowledgeable spot.... this forum!

Normally I work as a contractor in mainframe IT, but have been without a contract for the past while, and in absence of a warm blooded mature lady, building a CNC Router will be the thing I obsess about in order to keep me sane-ish.

Currently I don't have access to my workshop which is at my SIL's downunder in Melbourne Oz, but as I am at the beginning of the learning curve and feel that this needs to be researched to the umpteenth degree, that may well be a good thing.

Hope I don't bug you folk with too many silly questions.

My current thinking is to build a CNC Router using MDF and Aluminium but realise it's still very early days.

I'm thinking that simply seeing the results of a home build in the flesh so to speak would be a great start. Is there anyone in my neck of the woods who would be so kind as to help with this?

Cheers,
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by WandrinAndy View Post
    think I've finally found most things in one knowledgeable spot.... this forum!

My current thinking is to build a CNC Router using MDF and Aluminium but realise it's still very early days.
    I bet once you've read some build logs here you'll change your mind about the MDF. The only place for MDF in a CNC router is as a sacrificial piece. It's too weak to do most useful things if used in the structure, plus it will bend and warp due to moisture absorption causing endless problems...well that's what I've read anyway!
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

I'm thinking that simply seeing the results of a home build in the flesh so to speak would be a great start. Is there anyone in my neck of the woods who would be so kind as to help with this?

Don't use MDF, it's a waste of time and money. I built one and it lasted about 2 months before it warped. I'm now in the process of building one using steel RSJ's, well still in the design stages at the moment. But if you listen to Jonathan and Jazz on here you will get it right

Thanks for those recommendations against using MDF.

I had noticed with some "shop stuff" I built out of MDF some years ago that it is not very stable in humid conditions... admittedly the MDF wasn't sealed or the waterproofed flavour though. In those particular applications this wasn't really an issue, but guess it's somewhat different where precision is required.

Anyway, for now it's down to lots of reading and research.....

Thread Information