. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, I've been following this forum on and off for over 2 years, and am very impressed at how much help everyone offers. 2 years ago a stumbled onto a forum on Insructables website about someone building a cnc machine. It was built out of mdf and looked amazing. Well obviously that website is all about instructions on how to make one for yourself. So In started reading into it and studying where to source parts from, then found this site. Originally I was going to make an mdf router with home made bearings, m12 threaded rod with delrin nuts, and printer motors. What a joke. As I read into the subject of diy cnc building I come across better and better ways of building and spending more dosh.

Without doing any drawings or planning I stupidly ordered all the round supported rails with bearings, ball screws and nuts with supports, motors, breakout board, psu, drivers, according to the size of machine I wanted to build. I hear you saying 'what a twat', but all this was 2 years ago when drawing models first wasn't the norm. I was going to buy everything then build as I go along.

After having all the parts just sitting there for a couple of years, I decided this is the year I start my build. Don't worry there won't be any mdf, its now going to be a aluminium build. I have drawn a detailed model of what I want, but will start a build log for help on design issues. While drawing this model my wife glimpsed over to see what I'm doing every evening and said " I thought you scrapped your plans to build". Well not after spending 800 quid plus on parts.

I am not really an engineer, nor have I ever used a cnc machine before. I have an elec eng degree, done a masters in IT systems, but decided to go into the family business of furniture retail. Yep I have a shop and am self employed and still don't know why I want one of these machines.

I am a very hands on person, that will have a go at make anything, fixing everything, and helping everyone. I'm talking construction, electrical, plumbing, mechanics, computing, the lot. I've added a few pictures of my recent work where I could of done with a cnc machine. Theres a clock I made for my daughter, and the other is a play kitchen I made for her (better than the toys r us shit).

Thanks Adil

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0036.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	222.8 KB 
ID:	6236Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0037.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	250.4 KB 
ID:	6237Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0038.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	247.0 KB 
ID:	6238Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0054.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	6239Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0056.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	6240Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0057.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	6241Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0058.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	246.8 KB 
ID:	6242Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0059.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	177.8 KB 
ID:	6243Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0012.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	374.3 KB 
ID:	6244Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0018.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	6245

HOLY S**T :) great stuff!

I get the sneaky feeling that even if your cnc doesn't work for toffee it will look like a bobby dazzler :)

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I like the clock!

Hi

Like the clock is it your idea ? If so very good not seen any thing like that before.
    Well done on the other stuff, like the paint finish on the MDF.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    I like the clock!
    Nice work! Likewise with the clock... (I think Lady Ada was / is / has been selling something a little similar.. ) I think it was there, but I have slept since then!

Thanks guys.

The clock is called a word clock. I saw it online somewhere for near a grand so I thought I'd build one. Cost me 50 quid. Electronics were designed and built using the diy Picaxe microchip system, a time crystal with backup battery and shift registers. Just downloaded all datasheets and followed instructions. Electronics isn't my day job, so I learnt from research just as I'm researching to build a cnc. Inside may not look professional but the exterior is bling bling. Basically clear perspex with vinyl sticker stuck on the inside for a supper glossy effect.

The leds also dim according to the light conditions, so is perfect in my daughters bedroom as it is acts like a night light, oh and teaches her how to read, she's only 3.

The kitchen paint job was a nightmare. Each panel needed 3 coats of primer gradually sanded in between with finer graded paper, then finally had 2 coats of gloss 2K automotive paint. Everything was sprayed on with a cheap Lidl compressor and spray gun. Then as a final step had to wet sand the new paint with 2000-3000 grit paper and polish with a mop head polisher. I really wanted that high gloss finish, just to see if I could do it. It's quite a hard finish as I can't see any scratches yet, and my kids play rough. lol

This kitchen also is a fully functional one using the picaxe electronis system. Cooker elements light up using EL wire when the REAL cooker knobs are turned. The sink has water flowing, from another tank below using a fish tank pump, once the handle is turned. The handle funnily enough is a toilet flush handle. the Washing machine has loads of switches and lights but also spins the drum. Open the door and the drum stops, so safety features are included. Drum was made from a 19 litre water dispenser bottle. My kids put their dolls inside and give them a spin, lol. Lastly, the microwave and I think you've guessed it. Shut the door and press the go button and it starts to spin. This has incorporated a real microwave gearbox attached to a 12 motor as the original worked of 240v. Also when the dial is twisted the numbers in the display go up and down.

Everything looks great and works great, but only time will tell how strong it is.

Hope I didn't bore you, but give you inspiration to make your own.

this is just amazing and to think you did all that without cnc... i cant wait to see what you can do with it

Thanks guys.

Once the router is built I'll start designing a dolls house for her with all the trimmings and My son will get a truck bed like:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpecsFeatures-of-this-Fully-Loaded-Truck.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	6381

Gonna be busy me.

Wow...you must have spent forever sanding to get that finish.

Quote Originally Posted by wilfy View Post
    this is just amazing and to think you did all that without cnc... i cant wait to see what you can do with it
    The same, just a lot quicker!
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Andy, clock and kitchen are fantastic. You obviously have a very lucky and much loved daughter, and she a clever dad. Christmas greetings to you all. G

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information