. .
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Hello, I decided to do a little build log of my machine as I was bored. I also wanted a bit of advice with choosing the correct steppers if anyone would care to enlighten me? I think 3nm would be sufficient but I'd rather be sure.

I'm using sbr16uu rails and the z axis weight is 10.4kg, the whole Gantry weighs 21kg.

I'm currently on with building the steel bed and its just about done, but I've run out of welding rods so I'm a waiting now :(

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jonbabbz For This Useful Post:

Very neat and tidy.

3Nm onto a 5mm pitch screw would give you a driving force of 3770N, around 0.38 metric tons. You could rip it apart, I suggest you choose motors for speed rather than power

I agree with Robin, very nice neat build.

Did you do the machining yourself?

Andy

Thankyou very much. Yes I've done all the machining myself. So are there any recommendations for suitable stepper motors? I would like to be able to get a bit out of it speed wise, but not at the cost of torque. Id like to get it cutting aluminium at some point. Also, I'll be going towards the 80v range for the drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by jonbabbz View Post
    Thankyou very much. Yes I've done all the machining myself. So are there any recommendations for suitable stepper motors? I would like to be able to get a bit out of it speed wise, but not at the cost of torque. Id like to get it cutting aluminium at some point. Also, I'll be going towards the 80v range for the drivers.
    With 65-70V 3Nm would be my choice and still be plenty fast enough and allow for plenty of extra weight if larger spindle or attachments to Z axis.!!
    Gary's SY60STH88-3008B is what I use.

Thanks Jazz, they were what I was leaning towards but just wanted to be sure.

Jon, please see the links below for some reading:

What size stepper motor do I-need.

Nice build so far looks really good, following with intrest.

.Me

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:

Well I'm some way through welding my bed. Still a bit more to do. Not going too bad to say its the first time I've ever welded. I have all my parts now too, so it should be done soon. If youre wondering why its quite low down. That's the highest I could make it. Its going in an upstairs workshop so I have to get it up the stairs.

Nice build Jon. Also nice to see that the sun was shining out your way!

As someone who has never welded anything and is eventually going to be building a similar base for the X-axis, I have seen mention on another thread that the top bar can be bent by the welding process. Does one approach those welds differently to prevent/reduce warping or distortion?

Andy

To cut down on any distortion, rather than go all out and nuts with the welding, I clamped everything in place and applied small spot welds to hold it all in place then tried not to let it get too hot for too long while keeping an eye on it with squares and a straight edge. I'm also using steel with a 4mm wall and its going fine. I'm only using an el cheepo arc welder with 2.5mm rods. I tried using 3mm rods at first but couldn't strike an arc without blowing fuses. The day the sun was out is a long gone memory.. ..sigh.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information