. .
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Just take 2 diagonal lengths off each leg with brackets at each end that bolt into leg and top rail. . . Simplizz really
    I agree ... it's well worth it.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I agree ... it's well worth it.
    Yep I agree with that has well.!!! . . . Steel box is nice and cheap but if it hits the right resonance it can sing like that annoying twat off Go compare Advert. So anything you can do to help minimise this will show in the finish.

Thanks for the input. Ill get on the mods then. Jazz, im beginning to think that joke about you getting your balls out in public wasn't really a joke?!? Its not a trenchcoat style regular thing is it?

Quote Originally Posted by jonbabbz View Post
    Jazz, im beginning to think that joke about you getting your balls out in public wasn't really a joke?!? Its not a trenchcoat style regular thing is it?
    Just depends how many wine gums I've had but ye after half packet anything possible with me. .

Quote Originally Posted by jonbabbz View Post
    Thanks for the input. Ill get on the mods then. Jazz, im beginning to think that joke about you getting your balls out in public wasn't really a joke?!? Its not a trenchcoat style regular thing is it?
    Who hasnt had their balls out in public ? BTW I really like the design.. not that could tell a good one from a bad one , but it feels right to me.. ( No ball jokes plz)

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Progress so far. I've welded some new legs in for support as recommended and am now just waiting for my drag chain chain to arrive. I decided to slave up the y axis and set up mach3 ready. So all went well, i got y moving nice when i noticed that the z axis driver power led was no longer lit. I checked the supply fuse which had blown, so changed it. At which point that also popped straight away, its as though there's a dead short in the driver. Is there anything obvious that i could check inside the driver before i wax another 50 sheets on a new one? I did notice a tiny bit of metal swarf on the pins at the dip switches(pic 3) which i suspect may have done it(whoops a daisy :) Thought it a bit strange that it was going so well! Drivers are 2m982 btw.

Last edited by jonbabbz; 12-03-2021 at 06:57 PM.

I've had a nice week in the sun doing nothing but think about CNC(sad eh?) So having sorted out a speed issue with kind help from Jazz, I was presented with another problem. Severe vibration on the gantry axis. This was caused by loose bolts holding the rail to the rail support(these were from chai). So having stripped down my gantry completely and trying to tighten the offending bolts, this is what I found:

Nearly every bolt had been stripped during assembly in china. So were basically doing nothing. My bad for not checking first. But after having re-tapped the threads and properly putting in new bolts. Everything is hunky-dory again......Phew! Suppose you get what you pay for in this game. I really wish I had dumped a few extra hundred quid and gone for profiled rails though. Maybe Santa will will bring me some along with the new spindle Ive requested from him

I had them work loose on my rails, but didn't see any damage to the screws. Did you threadlock them to make sure they don't vibrate loose again?
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Yep, all glued up and nice and tight. Just waiting for a new driver to arrive from china now, seems to be taking ages. Then hopefully I'll be cutting soon.

Hi Jon, new to this site and come across your project. It looks great! Was just after some advice really, been looking at buying an off the shelf solution but after coming across yours I am interested in possibly making one myself.
    would you be able to give me a rough time scale and cost of the project (excluding base) and how you went about designing it.
    i would be confident in the mechanical side but the electronics and calculations seem a bit daunting.
    if you don't want to discuss costs etc over the forum my email is [email protected].
    Would really appreciate your advice.
    Thanks, Dan

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information