. .

Thread: New Mobo

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    See if you can find a port analyser/ monitor off the net and look at the latency. If it dips when you see the juddering then you know it is the install and not the hardware. i would blame windows every time regardless if the hardware was naff :-)

If it is the install then i should imagine something is taking priority over the card causing the latency issues. Investigating the software cost nothing before you spend any more on hardware. See if there is a newer driver for the card?
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

I just hit the reset button a few times and it booted. Lots and lots of hard disk errors displayed, but looks like Ubuntu is above such things as it's working just fine. I'll sort it out at some point... well that's what I keep thinking.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

well that's what I keep thinking.
    ha :) i suffer from that one... if a kick or a slap fixes it then a kick or a slap it is

4. I had a problem something like that months ago, in the end I gave up trying to find the problem and brought an ESS.

Here are my related posts.

DPC spikes stalling stepper motors.
    and
    Moschip Semiconductor MCS9865 Printer Port Cards.

Hope you get your problem sorted.
    "If first you don't succeed, redefine success"

Just remember - If it can't be fixed with a hammer - it's probably electrical

My old motherboard worked fine for about three months, then it started freezing and spoiled a couple of pieces of work. The problem gradually got worse until eventually Windows would not boot. At that point I decided another MoBo might be a solution, so I got one for free from a mate who runs a PC repair business. Board, memory and processor had been in a customer's machine before he upgraded and AFAIK working as files and settings were transferred from it.

In my working life as a freelance IBM Assembler programmer,I had a few occasions where the client had a problem, didn't know the cause and expected me to fix it within his timescale. In this case I am my own client, I can understand the frustrations and don't have the pressures.

I have done a clean install of XP pro up to SP3 reinstalled Mach3 and set it up to use the native LPT1 without the PP board in the machine. PROBLEM PERSISTS

My next step is to try another computer, I have one spare.

The only up-side of the issue is that I am saving money by not breaking cutters. Is there a market for 3.17mm diameter TC rods about 25mm long ?

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    I have done a clean install of XP pro up to SP3 reinstalled Mach3 and set it up to use the native LPT1
    Perhaps try LinuxCNC? Even if you don't want to use it in the long term, if it works you'll know it's a software problem.

The only up-side of the issue is that I am saving money by not breaking cutters. Is there a market for 3.17mm diameter TC rods about 25mm long ?
    I occasionally use the bench grinder to turn them into V-cutters, which are fine for simple PCBs. I've got enough for now though!

[QUOTE=cropwell;32713 Is there a market for 3.17mm diameter TC rods about 25mm long ?[/QUOTE]

pop over one night with a packet of hob nobs and we'll bang them on the T&C grinder and make them into proper engraving cutters.
    Not a Tuesday night, that's pub night, bastard of a job but someone has to do it.
    John S -

I am not against Linux, but I didn't know there was a CNC flavoured one. I have got Ubuntu, so I will load that and try it. However, I am going to try one more time to use Uncle Bill's operating system on another computer.

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    pop over one night with a packet of hob nobs and we'll bang them on the T&C grinder and make them into proper engraving cutters.
    Two packets surely as they're half price at Sainsbury's!

I have got Ubuntu, so I will load that and try it.
    Just to be clear you have to use the version specified on the LinuxCNC site, else it almost certainly wont work.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information