. .
    Hello

thank you for entering inmy post

I'm working as simple CNCmachinist, but as soon as my English will be good I'd like to applyfor an engineering job and in the same company where I am

We make engines for powergenerators on cast-iron

I put an idea forwardregarding a step drill to make a 17mm hole and a 23mm recess,reducing one tool.

Looking at all the enginesthat we make I've found out that we could use the same tool for allthe engine cases, that is we could put this tool on 4 CNC millingmachines

I talked about this ideato an engineering manufacturing of my shift and at first time heliked my idea and he gave me the assent to write it down, after thathe came back to me and told me that it is too expensive and accordingto them doesn't worth doing it

I talked to my managerabout it and he told me that manufacturing engineering wasconsidering my idea, soIasked why they didn't let me to write it down but he didn't reply me.

Iused drawing and making this kind of tool inside the company, but fora big company where I work now I don't know all the procedure andwhether it worth or not doing it. They told me that they have to sayto the company in Germany, which is our tools provider, to make ablueprint and make a tool

Isthere in this forum any engineering who works for a big company likemine-one and knows this kind of procedure?

Thisis a small tool no longer than 100mm. May you tell me moro or lessthe cost of it?

Ineed to understand whether is thrue or not that my idea is not good

Anyfurther advice according it will be very appreciated

thankyou in advance for your help
    Last edited by hoezap; 08-09-2012 at 03:52 PM.

You're talking about bureaucracy, whether the idea was sound or not has nothing to do with it. Some lazy fat ass probably just didn't want to do the paper work to get it done. If you wanted to you could approch someone else to build the tool and then sell it to your company.

thank you for your reply I hope I will get more answers I need to know more about it

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    It could be down to tooling cost.
    A 17mm drill, and a 23mm counterbore are pretty standard tools, so are relatively cheap.
    Whereas a custom tool to do the job in one pass is not a standard tool, and will be relatively expensive.

Would the amount of time saved by using one expensive custom tool, outweigh the extra time using two cheap standard tools?

thank you so much!

It could be that the company has specific processes inplace for that job and changing them would cost too much.

Thread Information