. .
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Just a few general purpose tips that I have found work well for me:

a. I virtually never use the Pan tool because it involves pressing the middle mouse key AND simultaneously pressing the left mouse key or the shift key, and I just don't have the dexterity to do this and find it a PITA. Instead of Panning in the normal way rather Zoom-Out from a particular point on the screen and then Zoom-In from another point, which achieves the same affect as Panning but is loads easier IMO... I only use one hand...

b. When using the Move/Copy tool it can sometimes be very useful to select a particular point... normally an endpoint... within the object to be moved/copied and then type [0,0,0] which repositions that point from wherever it was to the Origin of the axes.

I am using SketchUp so much at the moment that I'm finding it a real PITA that I cannot Orbit around ordinary jpg images. ... Lol

Andy

2. Quote Originally Posted by WandrinAndy View Post
    I am using SketchUp so much at the moment that I'm finding it a real PITA that I cannot Orbit around ordinary jpg images. ... Lol

Andy
    <OT>
    Lol, thats like I am so used to using my tablet and touchscreen monitors at home I keep forgetting my work monitors and laptop aren't.... things that just 'work' become second nature so quickly...
    </OT>

guys any idea how i can print an overhead shot of what i have drawn? i've basicly got a flat 2D image that i want to print off, but can only get it to print from a 3d perspective

Hope this isn't teaching you to suck eggs Wilfy, but I would try:

- click Camera; Standard View; Top
    - click Camera; Parallel Projection (instead of Perspective)
    - click File; Export; 2D graphic

yes thats helped a lot thank you very much, theres too many options in that software i find it hard to focus on what i want.. all the tips i've read in here are very helpfull thank you.

ok after trying to print it i now can't get it to print exact size.. i.e i have a circle 203mm that i want 203mm on paper and it's coming out around 150mm, tried landscape ect, just doesnt want to play, it's taking the whole area as the object i want to print and not the acctual thing i've drawn

Quote Originally Posted by wilfy View Post
    i now can't get it to print exact size.. i.e i have a circle 203mm that i want 203mm on paper and it's coming out around 150mm, tried landscape ect, just doesnt want to play, it's taking the whole area as the object i want to print and not the acctual thing i've drawn
    As SketchUp's circles are composed of many straight edges, it might just be easier to use an old fashioned compass...

It seems that SketchUp prints whatever is displayed in it's on-screen window, so by trimming it's on-screen window and using the Zoom +/ Pan tools, you can determine the rectangular object to be printed.

Then to print to exact size, under the Print options, unclick the "Fit-to-page" box and set the Scale to be identical for "In-the-printout" and "In-SketchUp".

This worked for me, but if the printed page size is bigger than the stationery size for one's printer, I think it will print on multiple pages... And at 203mm diameter you're very near to the edge of 210x297mm A4.

HTH,
    Andy
    Last edited by WandrinAndy; 07-09-2012 at 12:37 PM.

hmm it's not acctually the circle i'm interested in, there are other items attached, just this is the maximum which i thought would have been ok considering what you told me to do first time round printed a fully blue page right to the edge of my paper

is there anyway to extract the drawing out to another program in the exact dimensions i.e like an object i can stick in word or something?

There is a free addon to convert the free sketchup to stl or dxf. Then load up in your cad prog.

Convert Sketchup SKP files to DXF or STL | guitar-list

Hope this helps
    The more I know, I know, I know the less. (John Owen)

i've sorted it now, it's not perfect but it'll do what i want from it

ok time to teach me how to suck eggs again...

i've found drawings of say steel box section... but they are the wrong size, is it possible to resize this to how i need? and if so what the frig am i missing?

the file in question is standard steel sections by paulh - 3D Warehouse if that helps

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information