. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    when i picked up my boxford lathe it came with an interesting single phase motor that was obviously not suitable for the lathe

the spec...
    240v single phase
    2hp
    9700RPM!!

i have never seen a single phase motor with that high an rpm rating and it made me wonder

what would this motor be used for?

any ideas?

Odd size for an ac motor but ok for a dc one. Photo please.
    How are you getting on with the boxford? I bought a Blomqvist Model A, copy of the Boxford, a while ago and have rebuilt the gearbox earlier this year and I have just done the apron gears. Just started stripping the rest down for a re-paint.

If it's a single phase motor then it would either be run on 50Hz or 60Hz, so for 2-poles that's 3000rpm or 3600rpm. The lower the number of poles the higher the speed, but you can't have less than 2-poles therefore( Web-goblin said) it must be a DC motor. Or if you're extremely lucky I guess it could be a servomotor...
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

well... here are some pictures of the motor in question
    picture quality isn't great as the only camera i have is my trusty but outdated nokia 6300
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image028.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	204.0 KB 
ID:	6393Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image029.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	6394

web goblin, the boxford is slow progress at the moment but im aiming to get it finished asap

just noticed that the pic of the spec plate is indecipherable so i wrote down what it says

G&C machines
    S.M.E. division
    made in the uk

AC series motor

INS. CL h
    KW 1.5
    VOLT 230/240
    AMPS 8.9
    HZ 50
    PHASE single 1
    REV/MIN 9700
    RATE sfr 30 min
    FRAME 9085l

SERIAL NO. 630 cbj 5621 82

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    It'll be some kind of commutator/brushed motor, not a standard AC induction motor.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    It'll be some kind of commutator/brushed motor, not a standard AC induction motor.
    interesting, but what application needs 9700rpm? it is also extremely loud (but i guess thats inherent of its nature)

any ideas on what i could use it for?

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I've got to admit, I'm struggling to think of anything that would need 1.5kw (aprox. 2hp) at that speed, or what you could use it for!

9. It sounds like a series wound ac motor / universal motor?
    open it up, so see it the armature and the field are wound in series?
    Not seen one for years.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    I've got to admit, I'm struggling to think of anything that would need 1.5kw (aprox. 2hp) at that speed, or what you could use it for!

10. Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Since its limited to 30min operation, I'd hazard a guess at some sort of cooling/pumping/extraction process.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information