. .
    Hello

thank you for entering in my post

I'm running this cnc milling

As you can see on my picture we have this raised jig, I asked to my manager and also to an engineering of my shift about this 245mm platform to raise this jig and nobody could give me a good reason why they made this platform

From the lowest operation to Z limit minus (as you can see on the picture) we have 250mm so we don't need that 245mm platform, perhaps we need it only 10mm or 20mm higher just to be sure that the angle head reach the lowest operation

How close we could work to Z limit minus?

If I can take this platform out we may ruduce the operation by 2 tools.
    As you can see on the top of the engine case we have a sump rail that is the very top part and the cap-face that is that bottom in the middle of the case (signed in black). We are doing the roughing-out and finishing with 4 tools to reach the cap-face because otherwise we get Z limit plus if we use the same tools as for roughing-out and finishing, but if we take the platform out we could use only 2 tools.

The finished depth between the sumprail and the cap-face is 210mm so if we use the same tools with their enough lenght of 220mm, (in addition I don't understand why they made these 2 tools 250mm long) we should be able to do this 2 operations, roughing-out and finisching cap-face, with only 2 tools

Do you like my idea? Are you agree with me that that platform is an engineering manufacturing mistakes?

Any suggestion according it will be very appreciated

thank you in advance for your help
    Last edited by hoezap; 28-07-2012 at 02:12 AM.

is there any way you can speak with the person who built the jig?
    he may have just used steel box section because he had plenty lying around and it seemed it would be no detrement
    however... he may have had an good reason that is not obvious and its sooooo easy to miss an obvious problem if your not carful

How close we could work to Z limit minus?
    who writes your machine code?

Thank you very much Mark for your reply
    we don't know who built this jig it's there for long time...
    tha's what I'm trying to find out, the good reason, but so far nobody was able to give any,
    I think because the roughing-out sump rail and cap-face before was done from a different machine, so may be they thought to machine just the 4 sides with the angle head and they thought to do so by raising the jig and then when they moved these new operations they thought to leave the jig like that, that's all I can think so far ...

engineering manufacturing writes machine code, however also the programs are there for long time, so they do just some amendement sometimes

thank you very much again however I'd like more opinions about it

engineering manufacturing writes machine code, however also the programs are there for long time, so they do just some amendement sometimes

thank you very much again however I'd like more opinions about it
    i took it that you where worried that the machine wouldnt go passed a pre set Z depth... i would assume that would take some minor amendements to the g-code

Usaly engineers do this sort of thing for a resson and your find out why when you remove it ! . The setup and operation of work pieces can get stuck in a time warp just because it works and the engineer dosnt get paid anymore for altering the setup to make happen faster. Has the work piece changed much and has the tooling improved since it was first programed ? otherwise rip it out and find out !.
    I remember telling my old boss that i could remove 15mins from a operation on some large 750mm cooling plates ( with new programing ) that took one and a half hours a piece .... his reply was F**** off ( his exact words ! ) and then two months later we had a production meeting where ask anyone for ideas on cutting job times !!!!
    So i got stuck in the time warp
    L8r

Thank you so much Mark, yes probably I will ask them and I will post here again

thank you very much again

as long as you have enough room to do the job through Z axis I can't see the reson why you should raise the jig however my first aim is finding out the reason...

Thank you very much indeed Buba however I'd like more opinions about it

Thread Information