. .

Thread: new and hopeful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi all
    thought i would give a quick intro
    for the last few weeks i have looked round various sites with a view to acquiring a cnc machine. i have no knowledge other than what i have gained over the last couple of weeks therefore i have much to learn. i started off by looking at evil bay and the imported versions and while looking into their reliability i was lead to this fine forum
    the cnc machine will be used to make relevantly small plastic parts but i have read some comments to say its not good to cnc plastic ? i was thinking of a machine with a cutting area of about A3 size with a cutting depth of 2 1/2 to 3 inch if possible. i have no knowledge of the electrical side of things but have manufactured various things over the years in wood, metal and acrylic so building the main frame shouldn't be to much of an issue. couple this to some of the comments i have read about being able to build your own 'superior' machine for the same money as the imported ones is the reason i have decided to take this route. so i will carry on reading the forum for now but be prepared for lots of 'how do i' questions

i have read some comments to say its not good to cnc plastic ?
    i cut plasics almost exclusively acetal/delrin iv done a bit of ABS
    i have no idea why anybody would think cnc'ing plastic would be a problem

so i will carry on reading the forum for now
    theres plenty to go at :)
    Last edited by blackburn mark; 22-07-2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: spelling

hopefully you will ask alot of the questions that i need to ask aswell hey :D, if you want any information about ballscrews i suggest you look at this thread http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/showth...ned-ballscrews as i've just asked a few questions about them myself, i havn't got much further than this yet.

oh & welcome to the forum, its fun here

i have no idea why anybody would think cnc'ing plastic would be a problem
    something to do with the speed of the cutter melting the edge ? don't quote me as i could well have misunderstood the posting

thank you for the link Wilfy. belts it is then, i have learnt something else already LOL

something to do with the speed of the cutter melting the edge ? don't quote me as i could well have misunderstood the posting
    ahhh.... i heard ABS can be a pain in that regard, iv had no problems so far though with ABS its not as nice as acetal to machine but if your careful and use single flute carbides (sharp) you should be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Jed Clampit View Post
    so i will carry on reading the forum for now but be prepared for lots of 'how do i' questions
    Yes please ask every question that comes into mind no matter how dumb you think it sounds.!!

Best advice is don't go rushing buying parts etc untill you have fully come to a design that suits your needs. If possible design it in Cad to ease the build and reduce errors from component clash's.!!. . . Call the first drawing V1 and when your at around re-vision V1.8 you'll just about be ready to think about whats needed component wise.!

Good luck and it's easy if your methodical doing it in the right order and treat it like eating an elephant.? . . Small pieces at a time.!!

treat it like eating an elephant.? . . Small pieces at a time.!!
    or your brain will melt!

haha! :) i like that one jazz

Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
    or your brain will melt!
    I Like that one as well mark.!!. . . He's not joking I spend so many hours on the phone to folks who's brains turned to mush from information overload that I'm considering starting my own CNC shrink clinic. .

If possible design it in Cad
    Ahh there lies another problem i have to over come. i once tried using cad and not having the faintest idea what i was doing, gave up very quickly
    thank for the welcomes BTW

Once upon a time in the deep dark recesses of time there existed.................................pencil and paper. Pre-cad we all did are designs this way. Give it a go, it may still be available.
    Lots of info here. It is also possible to get plans at a reasonable price and get some one to print them out for you for you to modify to suit your self.

Bruce

Of course you will eventually have to learn so that you can draw the components that you want to make.
    The more I know, I know, I know the less. (John Owen)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information