. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    Are you making a Replicator or a Thing o Matic?

Well im only using their electrics (I will be customising the firmware a little) combined with some profile and rails I had around, so I will have to say its going to be a Rick-O-Matic.

Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardoco View Post
    Well im only using their electrics (I will be customising the firmware a little) combined with some profile and rails I had around, so I will have to say its going to be a Rick-O-Matic.

Rick
    If only you could delete the word 'and' from that sentence...
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    If only you could delete the word 'and' from that sentence...
    Show me...
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Show me...
    combined with some profile and rails I had around
    becomes,

combined with some profile rails I had around
    Which would be rather nice to have 'around'!

I thought he meant he had some alu profile and some rails lying around that he was going to use. Made sense to me.
    I had looked at a 3d printer a while ago as well and might still go for it one day. I have downloaded the dxfs for the replicator frame and I am currently working on modifying them to be cut from 10mm acrylic on the router. Need to remove all the slots and pins and add screw holes.

... would be rather nice to have 'around'!
    Splendid idea... Count me in if it's your shout!

I've considered making a plastic extruder for my CNC router as it wouldn't be hard to design it to fit in the existing 80mm spindle mount, making it a quick change between router and rapid prototyper. However I'm not sure what I'd actually make with it (which doesn't normally stop me!) since the finish on the 'hobby' ones I've seen is still quite rough compared to the commercial printers. If you can make something as good as the commercial ones then there's a lot of money to be made from rapid prototyping for companies. I recently saw some parts that the company I'm at got rapid prototyped from nylon. I could cut them on my router for less than they were charged.

I thought he meant he had some alu profile and some rails lying around that he was going to use. Made sense to me.
    I know what it actually meant...
    Last edited by Jonathan; 02-08-2012 at 08:01 AM.

I had looked at a 3d printer a while ago as well and might still go for it one day. I have downloaded the dxfs for the replicator frame and I am currently working on modifying them to be cut from 10mm acrylic on the router. Need to remove all the slots and pins and add screw holes.
    It made sence to me too because you are exactly right... nuff said...

I've considered making a plastic extruder for my CNC router, as it wouldn't be hard to design it to fit in the existing 80mm spindle mount, making it a quick change between router and rapid prototyper. However I'm not sure what I'd actually make with it (which doesn't normally stop me!) since the finish on the 'hobby' ones I've seen is still quite rough compared to the commercial printers. If you can make something as good as the commercial ones, then there's a lot of money to be made from rapid prototyping for companies. I recently saw some parts that the company I'm with got rapid prototyped from nylon. I could cut them on my router for less than they were charged.

I knew what it actually meant...
    I know you knew what i meant, just as you know what i knew you meant.

The quality has improved somewhat of late, it is such a popular concept that I'm sure many people will end up here in the end, given the similarities between the disciplines.

As the tech they use at the moment is improved by the geeks, I'm sure we will all benefit, I'm sure you, I, and many others here, with a little effort could turn out a perfectly acceptable machine given the accuracy that is sadly lacking in most of the machines I've seen working on YouTube.

Those people that I've seen take the time to build the machines correctly, seem to get some perfectly acceptable results. In fact some even produce things i would like to own/use.. Some of the things I've seen cannot be produced in any other way but 3D printing, and lets not forget the differences between the commercial proven resin printing technology and the DIY extrusion technology that has emerged from the concept..

. . . . . .

Now ive worn a hole in the carpet waiting for them...

Rick
    I know the feeling. I'm waiting for some stuff that's on a slow boat from China.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information