Hi Robin

Thank you for your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
If you use 2 pulleys you need to check available belt lengths. If you use 3 pulleys to get belt adjustment, one of them will only use 1/4 of it's teeth, or less, so you will need bigger.
I'm going to start nosing around for belt drive applications, but if you could post drawing or pictures they would help me understand what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
HPC gears do a good selection of belts at reasonable prices (unlike their pulleys).

Make sure you get aluminium pulleys, the iron ones are cheaper but the weight will slow you down.
I've a bookmark for HPC, but haven't reviewed what the sell yet, will go and have a nose soon.

With regard to the weight, is it really that bad when compared to the weight of the gantry? I know rotational inertia is a problem for acceleration where large diameters and masses are involved, lighter flywheels on cars & bikes don't improve power, they effectively loose mass that needs accelerating, but then we are talking several lbs saved at 10s of inches diameter there, rather than ounces at a couple of inches. I think cost will be more of my consideration here rather than acceleration, though significant, real world improvements can always change my mind where cost is involved!

Cheers,
Geoff.