. .
  1. Hi All,

I've not even built my CNC router yet, yet ideas for it's use keep banging around my head. I've seen the work a laser can do in the surface of wood and I love it, it instantly reminded me of the Pyrography work an Uncle of mine used to do. Although I have seen all types of laser do this, I'm no electronics expert and the thought of adding one is too daunting for me and will probably remain so.

However, I've seen CNC machines used with pens, so it seems logical for me that someone has replaced the pen with a Pyrograph at some point. Anyone tried this or is interested in trying this? I'd love to see the results and understand the pitfalls as I'm bound to give it a go when I get my machine built!

Cheers,
    Geoff.

First result on google for 'CNC pyrograph':

CNC pyrography computer-aided - YouTube

So it has been done. Perhaps have the tip spring loaded to apply a more constant force if the surface of the material is uneven?

If you buy the laser and PSU etc together then it can't be that hard to wire up - I'm sure we can work it out. Clearly that's a lot more expensive than the soldering iron(?) used in the video.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Just put a very very knackerd cutter in the spindle and you'll get that same burnt look. . LMAO.

4. Thanks Jonathan,

Thats cool! Very slow when compared to a laser, but very effective! I will have to try this, I have a Pyrograph somewhere, bought it years ago and never got very far!

Cheers,
    Geoff.

5. LMAO to Jazz!

Thread Information