. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Cheers Robin did know that and actually the cheapest price I've had so far is from a clock supplier.! £85 inc vat
    Apologies for teaching Granny how to suck eggs. I'd be afraid to cut an £85 hunk of metal, you are very brave.

I keep a handy piece of compo with a thick layer of shellac on one side.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    Apologies for teaching Granny how to suck eggs. I'd be afraid to cut an £85 hunk of metal, you are very brave.
    No apologies needed only a few days ago I didn't know it was called Compo untill asking clock makers what they used.!! Compo thou is just CZ120 brass which is engraving brass and what I was looking to buy anyway.!

Not unusual for me to cut expensive pieces of metal thou must admit I'll not be walking away from this one.!!

Edit: Recently I've had a death in the family and can you believe this job is to repair a Grave stone that got vandalised weeks after funeral.!!. . . Some Evil Bastards and If I catch them they'll be in a shallow unmarked piss hole.!! (After I've strapped them to machine and fly cut there faces and distinguishing marks off before they take there last breaths. .)
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 04-08-2012 at 01:56 PM.

Better Metal Stores in Alfreton are a good source for small amounts of sheet, bar and profiles in most materials (metals and plastics) but they are probably pricey, but a useful supplier nonetheless.
    Proops Brothers in Fleckney have 3mm sheet 250x500 (mm) for £35, but I don't know the grade. They also have a lot of cheap (and cheerful ?) bits for small engineering.

TTFN
    Rob

Hah, my current record for a single part is about £320. It was 1" aluminium plate.

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    Proops Brothers in Fleckney have 3mm sheet 250x500 (mm) for £35, but I don't know the grade. They also have a lot of cheap (and cheerful ?) bits for small engineering.
    I went there once and got quite a few bits.. can't remember what but I'm sure it was useful!
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Hah, my current record for a single part is about £320. It was 1" aluminium plate.

I went there once and got quite a few bits.. can't remember what but I'm sure it was useful!

I have a 2'x4' sheet of 1/8" thick CZ120. I could sell you a piece from that if you still need it
    Regards,
    David

John S - the days of getting a 4'x4'x1/8" for £120 are long gone ( especially in CZ120) I just got a sheet 4'x2'x1/16" and the best deal i could get in CZ120 was £85 + vat - after a HUGE amount of shopping around.

Best Regards,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by pistolknight View Post
    I have a 2'x4' sheet of 1/8" thick CZ120. I could sell you a piece from that if you still need it
    Regards,
    David
    Pm Sent thanks.

Made two of these a while ago.

16" diameter, 6" deep and two sit back to back and offset, that's what the small cut away's are for. The slots hold carbide inserted blades and overlap very slightly so the whole 12" is covered by blades.
    This assembly then runs at 7,000 rpm in an industrial pencil sharpener.

To be honest can't remember what the alloy cost but I know it was pucker time when machining.
    John S -

PM replied to.

Damn John that's neat work. We are making rollers from 17-4 PH stainless for a local maltings - 380 dia x 180mm wide. You always have that moment where you wonder if it could all go seriously wrong and mess up £600 of material. Do you ever work with any exotic materials like monel or inconel?
    Regards,
    David

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information