. .
    Hello, I have just arrived on this site because I am in the process of getting a Sieg Super X3. My in tension is to strip the machine and do a CNC conversion my self. I am mid 50's and work in a helicopter factory in the south. I repaired NC/CNC back in the 80's but not now, I'm a project engineer. If anyone can help with info/advice on my latest X3 project I would appreciate it. That's it for now . Chris

Robin's build log may interest you:

http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/mill-b...ild-log-6.html

It's not an X3, but clearly the concept applies. Particularly interesting is how he pre-loaded the double ball-nuts to get (near enough) zero backlash. You could save money by doing the same with two standard nuts on the cheap ballscrews from China. It depends on what sort of accuracy you're after which depends on what you intend to make with it.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Robin's build log may interest you:

http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/mill-b...ild-log-6.html

It's not an X3, but clearly the concept applies. Particularly interesting is how he preloaded the double ball-nuts to get (near enough) zero backlash. You could save money by doing the same with two standard nuts on the cheap ball screws from China. It depends on what sort of accuracy you're after which depends on what you intend to make with it.
    Thanks for the reply, I'm not sure what I'm going to make on the X3 but low backlash & firm drives are always good, especially on this small low mass mill. It's really down to to cost of items (it always is!) that will ultimately decide. I'm at the what do I think I need stage, before committing to a hardware purchase.

The SX3 is mechanically the same as the X3 which has been done by many people. The only difference is in the spindle motor. We used to do a kit for ARC's X3's at one stage in fact I still have the original machine here.
    The ballscrews from China, [Linearmotionbearings2008 on Ebay ] are fine as they are, coverting to double nuts is hardly worth it as with these samll desktop machine there is always a machine limitation and many spout off about microns etc but the truth is the screws will be as good as the machine.

You would be better spending to money on over spec'd drives to get speed and reliability, we ran these at 70 volts and they were very reliable.
    John S -

Thread Information