. .
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
  1. So, discussions with SWMBO have got to the point where she wants a consulting room to do private practice (she's a psychotherapist/counsellor) and that means converting the front section of the garage so she can have an external entrance and the back section would, if we go ahead, become a utility room with an entrance from the house.

I can't extend the garage back any more cos of the boiler house and also it would raise issues with neighbours on that side as it would cut out their light into their kitchen. So option has been mooted to build a new brick n block workshop at the back of the garden. This is ideal, it would be screened from the house by an existing laurel hedge and could be around 6.5 x 3.5m internal. With some careful planning I can get everything I need in there... including my 3 bikes. A rough floor plan is:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	workshop.JPG 
Views:	615 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	6518

So, any thoughts on this layout, the construction of the workshop, etc.? Very early days yet... budget exists but isnt infinite, I reckon it can be done for about 3.5-4k if I'm clever with purchasing...

Secondly, that raises the issue of having to get rid of the old 'British' lathes and stick with my Warco as there won't be room for all of them, plus I can't see me ever getting round to finishing the refurb on any of them in the near future. Anyway there won't be room for anything much bigger.

And then that leads to the mill question... do I keep the Warco MD30 and CNC it as was planned but look at options to convert from a round column to a square column, effectively building something in the vertical using some heavy box section (concrete fill?) and big supported rails (has this been done before?). If I went that route I'd need to get the table dovetails remachined as they are not perpendicular at the mo by about 0.6mm in X across the Y travel. But then again the mill might need to go into storage while the garage is cleared so that might be a time to ship it somewhere and get the work done (and get it converted to ballscrews at the same time). Alternatively I sell it and by something else thats inherently more CNC-able or is already done... an X3 or similar...

Further thoughts appreciated...

Where's the CNC Router

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    building something in the vertical using some heavy box section (concrete fill?) and big supported rails (has this been done before?).
    Have you seen the builds on CNC zone using epoxy granite? Pretty inspirational stuff...by supported rails I hope you're referring to profile rails as I doubt you could get worthwhile rigidity with supported round rails.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Looks very cosy

My best design features in my den were a 4 meter length of 40mm x 30" beech worktop with ten double mains sockets across the back edge. Down the other wall another 4 meters of 24" Melamine face kitchen worktop. Underneath the worktops, 47 sliding plastic trays from Radio Spares. Sort of removable drawers in two depths.

4. Yes Robin, can never have enough workbench and there will be lots of storgae under the ones in the drawing.

OK main changes to be incorporated... bike store on ceiling to give more wall/floor space, Dutch dryer style but cleverer... maybe with powered lift :) That frees up space to make room for a small CNC router maybe, or a 3D printer, and/or more workbench...

Bigger windows to increase light and make it easier to get stuff in if need be.

But can't decide what to do about the mill... fix/re-engineer current one or buy a new one (the Amadeal AM30LV @ £1300 is a similar size but more suitable for CNCing... or the slightly smaller XJ25 @ £850)? Reckon I could get £250+ for the current mill...

Not an original idea but I found a complete fitted kitchen on eBay, fitted out the workshops with some of the under counter units, added 2 cheap worktops from a sale at BQ or similar and sold the remaining kitchen parts for more than I spent buying the kitchen units, the worktops and hiring a luton van to go get it! Larger fitted kitchens work better! :-)

6. Bl**dy planning permission... general permitted development says "can't be >2.5m high if < 2m from boundary. Can be 2.5m at eaves and 4m at centre if >=2m from boundary". I need the height for my bike store so means I have to apply for PP :( grumble....

Bl**dy planning permission... general permitted development says "can't be >2.5m high if < 2m from boundary...
    Make it taller than the inside on the outside?

8. Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Make it taller than the inside on the outside?
    Very helpful J... its not the TARDIS lol... tho sometimes it looks that way...

Very helpful J... its not the TARDIS lol...
    Ahh but you don't need timelord technology - just a shovel!

Check with the Local Authority as a lot of the regs have changed and dont need to go to the committee, all done under delegated authority.
    Still costs yer though!

peter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information