. .
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hello All,

I am currently researching the options for building a 3 axis router. It seems if I am to upgrade in future it is worth buying decent components now.

I have read some good things about the Geckodrives but do they offer improved functionality over other drives. i.e. is it worth forking out the extra to buy geckos or do I buy one of the ebay kits?

I notice in particular the 'morphing' function, so it can accelerate smoothly.

Any feedback/suggestions would be greatly received.

Regards
    Andy

It depends really on what size machine you're intending to use them on? Once that's known I can advise properly, but if it's a small machine you're unlikely to see the benefits.

Edit: Also did you have a particular Geckodrive in mind?
    Last edited by Jonathan; 10-08-2012 at 08:07 AM.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

The modern Leadshine devices are just as good, problem is with anything being imported from the States the customs has your pants down.
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    It depends really on what size machine you're intending to use them on? Once that's known I can advise properly, but if it's a small machine you're unlikely to see the benefits.

Edit: Also did you have a particular Geckodrive in mind?
    Thanks for the reply.

It will have a table of approximately 3ft x 4ft so I am considering 4Nm steppers paired with the geckodrive G213V which seems like it has been protected against almost everything so should last.

Nema23 Stepper Motor 4Nm x 3

G213V Selectable Resolution Digital Stepper Drive

I have looked at some of the leadshine drivers. Do they perform the same morphing as the geckos?

Regards
    Andy

Hi Andy

Have a look at this

YouTube | RoboCNC.nl

Third one across top "Testing Leadshine Stepper Driver"

I cannot give you the direct Youtube link as I am at work and youtube is blocked !

Andy

Ok ounce upon a time I'd have said Gecko's can't be touched and still say they are top notch drives.! BUT the new lead shine digital drives are amazing and do everything the new geckos do with the added benefit they can be tuned in software and tweaked to perfection. I'm not talking the PM542/752 run the mill drives but the DM & AM range and the 542/752 can't touch the gecko's despite what John S say's (He's just a bitter & twisted old Git. .)

Don't be fooled by the Gecko 203V/213V unkillable label because I've just killed a 203V no problem.!! . . . .BUT here's the sweet bit with Gecko's and why it can and does pay to buy them even if they cost a bit more.! . . . The drive I've just killed is almost 3yrs old it was completely my fault why it died by mixing power polarity up after testing another company's drive. Quick email to gecko and it's being replaced/repaired free of charge and that's with me being completely honest and telling them it was my fault. . . . Can't say fairer than that after 2.5 +yrs . . . . (Oh and in nearly 3yrs they haven't missed a beat or step, sometimes working for 36hrs non stop!!)

John S is right thou that customs bend you over dry with stuff from the states so be prepared for the sting.!!

Me if got the money I'd go for the Leadshine AM882 digital's next would be Gecko's after that then If I had to and was in a rush then PM752's other wise I'd wait and save up for the Digitals.!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Me if got the money I'd go for the Leadshine AM882 digital's next would be Gecko's after that then If I had to and was in a rush then PM752's other wise I'd wait and save up for the Digitals.!!
    Some great comments guys thanks for the replies.

It looks like the leadshine drives work out much cheaper too. For what its worth is it better to go for the 856 over the 556 (up to 80V)?

They also have these on the bay for around £60. Is there a fake drive market out there to be aware of or can I rest easy they will be ok?

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by andy0202 View Post
    Some great comments guys thanks for the replies.

It looks like the leadshine drives work out much cheaper too. For what its worth is it better to go for the 856 over the 556 (up to 80V)?

They also have these on the bay for around £60. Is there a fake drive market out there to be aware of or can I rest easy they will be ok?

Andy
    Can only comment thru personal experience on the AM882 from Zapp
    Zapp Automation Ltd - Stepper motors & Stepper Motor Drivers - Servo motors and Servo Motor Drivers - Ballscrews & linear motion products. : AM882 Digital driver with stall detect [AM882 Digital driver] - £98.40

80V and 8.2A so plenty of overhead for future expansion plus using lower powered motors the drive is no where near being taxed so life expectancy will be longer.

These drives are very very nice and if your thinking to slave motors then they have a very nice anti stall feature.?
    Above 300rpm they attempt to avoid stalling but better than that for slaved motors is that if one of the motors does stall or lose position above the set tolerance level the drive can output a signal. Which if wired thru the E-stop system or into an input the control software monitors the slaved motors can be stopped almost instantly in a controlled manner so no damage or racking occurs.
    Very very handy for slaved motors and works very much like a servo system would regards position loss. With steppers it's very rare for them to lose position or stall below 300rpm but above 300 and higher when torque is dropping then it's very common so this system is great improvement and nice safeguard for slaved Axis.

Definately get the 80V driver over 50V since the motor torque at high speed is roughly proportional to the applied voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Can only comment thru personal experience on the AM882 from Zapp
    Zapp Automation Ltd - Stepper motors & Stepper Motor Drivers - Servo motors and Servo Motor Drivers - Ballscrews & linear motion products. : AM882 Digital driver with stall detect [AM882 Digital driver] - £98.40

80V and 8.2A so plenty of overhead for future expansion plus using lower powered motors the drive is no where near being taxed so life expectancy will be longer.
    Or if you're on a student budget:

New Leadshine AM882 Drive 80VDC 0.1A - 8.2 | eBay

Also I wouldn't bother with the 4Nm motors you mentioned since on your size machine they wont gain anything over the 3Nm motors from the same supplier, or Zapp. The 4Nm could even be worse.

Edit, missed this bit:

Quote Originally Posted by andy0202 View Post
    I recall Gary at Zapp saying there are fakes of leadshine drivers around. That doesn't necessarily mean they're no good though, so I'd be happy to try them. However my machine works perfectly well on PM752s, so there's no need for me to change stepper drivers. When I change the drivers it wont be steppers on the other end...
    Last edited by Jonathan; 10-08-2012 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Should have read the thread
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Or if you're on a student budget:

New Leadshine AM882 Drive 80VDC 0.1A - 8.2 | eBay
    So £76.76 + 20% vat if/when customs have you plus the £10 rip off charge shipping company bends you over for. So 76.76 + 15.35 + 10 = £102 so what you saving.?

Then if like all electrical devices can suffer from and it's faulty it aint an easy exchange.?? . . . . . I love Ebay and cheap chinese bits but some times then just not worth the little saving.!! . . . Drives are one such thing I don't buy from china.!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information