. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Has anyone made themselves anything like this - Donek Tools ??

I would like to make one eventually as 189 USD seems a bit steep...

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHarris View Post
    Has anyone made themselves anything like this - Donek Tools ??

I would like to make one eventually as 189 USD seems a bit steep...
    I agree they do seem expensive. I wouldn't have thought a similar gidget would be too hard to make. The only area needing a decent amount of care is to ensure the blade bisects the collet x-axis and the tip of the blade is very slightly behind the y-axis IYKWIM.

Watching the cardboard box video and notice that on every direction change it has to lift Z then plunge down again.
    Is that necessary and if so it's a lot of messing programming these moves. I don't know anything about these but after seeing a vinyl cutter doing the signs for my new van it seemed to be a lot faster than this and continuous. Perhaps a search on the Zone is in order ?
    John S -

5. Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    It would need some kind of bearing to allow it to rotate freely.

John I know what you mean about the z movements but if you want to cut card and leather a vinyl cutter isn't going to be up to it?

6. Hi Joe,

That's damn expensive!

Seen it done on plenty of sites, but thought I'd not need it, so didn't save them... Doh! Having said that the Tweakie pages have images of vinyl cutting - can't remeber if he details the design or not :-(

Tweakie.CNC - Vinyl Cutting

From what I remeber of other sites, they use a standard vinyl cutter blade (or sometimes Blade & holder) in a tube with ball bearings to allow it to pivot, the shape of the blade forms the castor. Should be no need to lift of, I pretty sure the vinyls cutters I've seen didn't

Cheers,
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by BikerAfloat View Post
    . . .Should be no need to lift of, I pretty sure the vinyls cutters I've seen didn't

Cheers,
    Geoff
    I think you are right in that the vinyl cutters don't lift off. With thicker materials and a blade at a shearing angle I think not to lift would mar the material surface.

Yes I can see this but must be a pain to program as each entity has to be cut as an open line so it lifts off [ Z clearance ] at the end of each cut.
    But if it does lift, then plunge down to do a cut at say 90 degrees to the first, how does the blade move round if it's just a swivel ?

Did a search on Ebay and you can get a simple tubular knife from the states with shipping for £115.

Cut Sign Vinyl - Drag Knife Bit for CNC Router End Mill | eBay

Marchant Dice sells the same item for £200
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Yes I can see this but must be a pain to program as each entity has to be cut as an open line so it lifts off [ Z clearance ] at the end of each cut.
    But if it does lift, then plunge down to do a cut at say 90 degrees to the first, how does the blade move round if it's just a swivel ?. . . .
    I haven't any idea how the blade moves round either; however another thing that puzzles me is the very act of lifting off with thicker material combined with the shearing blade angle must leave a small triangular section of uncut material.
    Could it be cutting from the ends of each line to the middle?
    The device itself isn't too complicated to make but its use may well be far more involved than we think.

Any thoughts?

10. I looked at the videos on Donek tools site again, the knife is still in contact when the machive changes direction, just with a very much reduced DOC, the castor on the blade still has to have some resisitance to operate. Has to be a pain to code!

An eBay search for "Roland Blade Holder" turns up plenty of vinyl cutter holders, not sure if these have the bearings in them, or if the bearings are in the part of the machine that holds them, for the money (£7ish upwards) though, they'd be worth a look at least as a basis for thin material.

Still trying to find the links I had for other drag knifes, I must learn to be more organised!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information