. .

Thread: mig welders

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    stay away from glassless, the best mig about for not alot of money is a clarke mig welders and you can buy them cheaper on the bay,, you can buy a large bottle on ebay as well.. as a welder myself i find them just the same as i did at work, well not as good speck wize but can still put out a canny weld. if you set them up right..

have you welded before???

if you have i'd just get a stick welder, then once you can weld with it you can weld with anything,, well TIgs a new story.. plus with a stick you'l save some £££ and you'l get alot more amps for your money, meaning less time dressing and prep work!

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    Right, the one you have bought, the torches on these things are .... well crap! I have had a couple of them in at work to repair and the ones I have seen have had plastic liners in them which wear very quickly.
    Man those must be Crap because I've got the industrial version Clark Mig and the torch on these are crap.!!

Stick welder would have been far cheaper and actually with decent quality rods far easier for welding box section.

Setting the Mig up is key and if not done before will take a bit of time.! . . When set right it will make you hungry.?? . . . . It should sound like Crackling bacon. . .Lol
    If just using plain C/02 (Pub gas) then expect it to spit and fart. Gas makes big difference and if you can get Argo-shield then it makes for far better welding.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Man those must be Crap because I've got the industrial version Clark Mig and the torch on these are crap.!!

Stick welder would have been far cheaper and actually with decent quality rods far easier for welding box section.

Setting the Mig up is key and if not done before will take a bit of time.! . . When set right it will make you hungry.?? . . . . It should sound like Crackling bacon. . .Lol
    If just using plain C/02 (Pub gas) then expect it to spit and fart. Gas makes big difference and if you can get Argo-shield then it makes for far better welding.
    YEp jazz is right,, i fecking heat co2........argon shield every time,nice smooth weld and soun .i've a big bottle. and its still half full got it from work back in 2005 and i'v done /do alot of welding.. you can get an half size bottle of the bay for £115 to your door

If you can only afford one welder i'd go for stick!

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    7 years and youve half a bottle left,lol one place i worked at i used to get through a full size bottle of argon within a week to 10 days but there was a night shift comeing in to and useing my bay,it used to annoy the feck out of me because when ever the lad on nights ran out of gas, it was left to me to replace it first thing in the morning on my shift,wouldnt mind but it was a trek across the factory for a new bottle everytime.
    Its the same everywhere mate. just lazy feckers, i'd do a bottle in every week no problem.. say if i had to go in machine shop to do the pins for the buzz bars. which would take any where from a day to 4 days.. and some one came to my bay would be gone within 3 days but i'd come back and the bottle would be empty, gas left open all the time and over night, and they wounder why the place closed down as it went bust.. oh and they don't no how to clean the shroud or how to clean up my bench after them.. I just got sick so went round welding on to their benches , must of left about 50 tacks on one and i mean they were over kill 10mm by 10 mm so it took him a while to grind it off..
    problem wth people at home is they have the gas on over kill, you can not even hear the gas on mine, well you can here it kick in but soon as it dropped off you'd think you've no gas!

thanks again for all the replies here guys, i picked the welder up today, doesnt look amazing but the feed unit seems to work well and the tip is a little dirty but i've seen tips come in packs of 10 so thats obviously something that is replaced regular.

the only other thing i need is wire, gas and a reg

was this one for the record
    CLARKE 130 E MIG WELDER | eBay

should i think about replacing anything on it?

Here mate
    Accessories & Consumables for Hobby MIG Welders - Machine Mart
    Accessories & Consumables for Hobby MIG Welders - Machine Mart
    Clarke Mild Steel Welding Wire 0.6mm 5kg - Machine Mart

check the liner, get some tips in 0.6,, and 0.8
    don't over tighten the wire real clamp, make sure you have it on the right size should have 2 rings on one for .6 and .8

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    A quick method for setting the feed roller tension, is if you block the nozzle to stop the wire coming out (bend the end over and hold it with your finger against the tip is enough), the rollers should spin on the wire.

If you set the tension too high, and the nozzle does block (you'll probably do it a lot to start with due to burn back!), you risk ending up with the wire kinking (or a full blown birds nest if you stupid enough to keep holding the trigger!) before it enters the liner at the feed end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information