. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. ... took 3 of us to lift it on there... but its very stable and has levelling feet to level it all up... quite pleased with it...

The levelling feet were off ebay and they screw into home-made mounts comprising an M12 nut welded to a 50mm square x 4mm steel repair washer recessed into the bottom runners
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	millstand.JPG 
Views:	403 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	159  
    Last edited by irving2008; 28-12-2008 at 08:20 PM.

Did you get planning permission for that?

Looks solid enough, when will you CNC it?

3. Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    Did you get planning permission for that?

Looks solid enough, when will you CNC it?
    lol... its robust enough to need it tho... and my wife wasnt impressed when she realised just how much space this thing was going to take up :)

its pretty solid 3 x 4" PSE and M12 bolts, was going to paint it but not sure I can be bothered now...

CNC'ing this one may be a while... got to finish the smaller one first, and Borris is still waiting for his Z-spindle to be fitted... and funds are a tad lacking re ballscrews etc... I've got £250 of tooling to be picked up first...

4. I think I'd add a diagonal brace or two. The thought of 300kg + on top of two pairs of legs (i.e. front and back) with only a bar at the bottom for stability would worry me.

5. Bill,

I understand why you'd think so but I dont think it needs it. The mill base is bolted into the cross-members with 8" long 1/2" coach bolts and the cross members at the bottom are similarly bolted to the side runners. The centre of gravity is directly between the legs. As part of the testing before I put the mill on the base I put it on end (so the legs were horizontal) and stood on the end of the legs without it budging.. and I weigh 76kg. For the legs to fold therefore it would need more than 76kg of side force and would have to rip the 1/2" coachbolts out of the wood.

I will be putting some side members on to support an intermediate shelf for the tooling and that will add further fore-aft integrity.

regards,
    Irving...

If you just box in the sides with ply, that will do the trick Irving. It will also give you a rather nice enclosed cabinet for your tooling too. Bookshelves get a very large part of their strength from the usually very thin back panel and they can be loaded well in excess of 300kg :) If I was back at work I could run it through Solidworks FEA package for you but knowing you, you have done your sums on it :)

Regards, Jeff.
    Nothing is foolproof......to a sufficiently talented fool!

7. Quote Originally Posted by Smiler View Post
    If you just box in the sides with ply, that will do the trick Irving. It will also give you a rather nice enclosed cabinet for your tooling too. Bookshelves get a very large part of their strength from the usually very thin back panel and they can be loaded well in excess of 300kg :) If I was back at work I could run it through Solidworks FEA package for you but knowing you, you have done your sums on it :)

Regards, Jeff.
    I did do a certain amount of analysis including checking the Euler buckling load for the legs - there's a 100% safety margin there... :D

Anyway as of this evening my son helped me put the head on (he's a foot taller than me and works out so he was able to lift it up while I stood on a ladder and manoeuvred it into place), its all levelled, motor is installed and the whole thing runs silently.... all I need now is some tooling!

I was also noting that some bracing was missing.

Here is the base i made for my Rockcliff Machine to sit on: Link Here

.Me

9. Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    I was also noting that some bracing was missing.

Here is the base i made for my Rockcliff Machine to sit on: Link Here

Dont see any bracing on yours either Lee... :D

"Your both...FIRED !"
    .Me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information