Quote Originally Posted by mike mcdermid View Post
Ok an update

DO IT IT IS EASY

if you want to read through 400 pages of guessing suggesting and theorizing go follow the cnc zone "experts"

I recently visited 2 companies who manufacture epoxy granite machine bases and actually are "experts" One manufactures CMMs the other very LARGE gantry mills made from Carbon fibre basically it is rocks in resin the guys gave me the full tech spec right down to the epoxy resin system which comes from HUNTSMAN ,nothing fancy rare special about it ,the rocks are quartz ,as guessed scaled to fit the section that is to be filled nothing fancy no fillers of spheroidal this that or the other ,just different sized grains and some fibres

there is nothing clever about it fill a mould and vibrate it

no flaming off with torches to burst bubbles etc analyzing sizes to the nth degree the applications engineer even pointed out how complicated lots of folks think this is ,cost to cast a machine 1000 a ton which was still cheaper than cast iron for a hobby sized machine your talking 100 quid
Mike this is something I have been thinking about having a go at now for quite a while but not had the time to chase down the final ratio of the mixture. If you can help with your experience and suppliers of the best resin to use etc I for one would be most grateful.

Thanks

Andy