. .
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Lives in Bedford, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-08-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 22.
    Hmm, that might be helpful, as I do intend to turn some small parts for n gauge model railways (although for very small parts I usually pop them in a collet in my proxxon tool and clamp that to the bed of my cnc mini mill). I'd be grateful if you have any more information. However, I'm not yet sure if the conect lathe uses the Speed 10 headstock as stock (see posts above). If I post some pictures perhaps a kind person could help me to identify the bearings used and hence the max rpm.

Seeing as it used a ML10 bed it 'should' have the Myford number on it, unless they sold Conect a job lot with no numbers, it should have an S in it for a speed 10
    John S -

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I've just checked mine, and it's just a V, with no S.
    I can't find the bearing details, and it's not easy to get into measure them without dismantling things.

However, the ML10 page on lathes.co.uk indicates there's not actually any difference in the taper bearing headstocks between the different versions-

Later machines, produced from January 18th, 1978, (from machine V137261) were
    fitted with grease-lubricated roller-bearing headstocks that, although provided
    by the factory with the same speed range as the earlier machine, can easily and
    safely be adapted by their owners to run as fast as the later "Speed 10" version
    (see below for details).
    On the 4th of May 1979 a modified "two-speed" countershaft unit was introduced
    that carried an eccentrically-mounted top shaft with a double-step V-belt pulley
    drive from the motor; this arrangement doubled the number of speeds to twelve
    (of which ten were officially sanctioned as safe to use) with a range from 48 to
    2000 r.p.m. This new model, the "Speed 10", was identified by the prefix "VS"
    and the first down the production line carried the Serial Number VS143202M

Lives in Bedford, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-08-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 22.
    Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    I've just checked mine, and it's just a V, with no S.
    I can't find the bearing details, and it's not easy to get into measure them without dismantling things.

However, the ML10 page on lathes.co.uk indicates there's not actually any difference in the taper bearing headstocks between the different versions-
    The only number that I can see on the bed of mine is A6483 (stamped on the reverse of the bed, about 10cm along from the chuck).

So it appears that the speed limitation is a product only of the pulley system, and not the bearings.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    The bed number should be stamped on the front right hand end of the bed just below the bed way.

Here's a photo of where the serial number should be. It could be that Conect painted over it on the green ones..

Attachment 6657

A late reply on this thread I know, but as I had t info to hand, hear it is.

The front spindle bearings on the Speed 10 ( and presumably later ML10) is an NSK HR 30206 JP.

NEW HIGH QUALITY NSK TAPER ROLLER BEARING HR 30206 JP TAKEN FROM MYFORD STORES | eBay

http://www.jp.nsk.com/app01/en/ctrg/...own&pno=NSK...

according to the NSK web catalogue, MAX RPM = 6000 RPM in grease or 8000 RPM in oil
    Last edited by swarf-boy; 10-01-2014 at 02:39 PM.

Hi All,
    I have just acquired one of these machines which is based on a Myford ML10 but the later model with roller bearings.

My original ML10 which is still in regular use has plain bearings and shows no signs of wear after 40 years plus of use.

The Conect Cadet Plus is in excellent condition mechanically and electrically but unfortunately it has neither a manual or software.

I'm hoping that someone has saved either or both.

I understand that the original software was written for the BBC micro and subsequently DOS and the connection is RS232.

Can anyone help?

Kind regards,

Keith

I'm afraid that the first thing I did with mine was chuck the old electronics and replace it with new drivers, a breakout board and Mach 3, so I'm probably not going to be able to help.

I did manage to decipher the motor specs though (the markings had all worn off on mine). If you need them let me know and I'll dig out my notes.

Hi Rabs,
    Thanks for the offer.
    I may have to do the same but I am trying to avoid that at present.
    I think I am making progress but its very slow.

Kind regards,

Keith

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information