. .
    Lives in Bedford, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-08-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 22.
    I have a conect lathe with no electronics and this motor attached on the x axis:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-08-23 08.16.09.jpg 
Views:	605 
Size:	153.8 KB 
ID:	6654
    and an unmarked smaller motor on the cross slide.
    I can't find any documentation for the motors on the web. I'm guessing that the 1.8 at the end might indicate current per phase.
    Does anyone have one of these lathes and/or data on the motors? I'm trying to specify driver electronics and need to know what drive voltage & current they need.
    Many thanks,
    Robert

2. As best as I can find: 1A coil, 200 step, 110oz-in. Drive voltage is immaterial, they'll be a 3v - 5v coil, but any modern current limiting driver will do the job. High inductance probably so go for 30V at least. Or better, check with what others have done...

Robert,
    If you can afford it replace the motors with the modern square type, those old round ones are really last century technology. There have been great strides made in motor technology in the last few years.
    It will pay off in the long run is speed and reliability.

Every Denford we have done we have had to swap motors to get anything like decent speeds out of them even with decent drivers and high voltage.
    John S -

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    1.8 I'd guess is step angle, which equates to the normal standard of 200 steps per revolution suggested by Irving above.

My Conect is a beige one, and used different motors, however I think the controls were pretty similar, so I'd doubt they would change the motor specs too much between the versions. The motor details for mine are in the first couple posts at http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/mills-...ion-grows.html

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Or take John's advise, and let me know how you get the motors of the ballscrews!

6. Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    1.8 I'd guess is step angle, which equates to the normal standard of 200 steps per revolution suggested by Irving above.

My Conect is a beige one, and used different motors, however I think the controls were pretty similar, so I'd doubt they would change the motor specs too much between the versions. The motor details for mine are in the first couple posts at http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/mills-...ion-grows.html
    Yes but the 200 is the number of steps, so I'm guessing the 1.8 could be the coil resistance, 1.8Ohm which would make it 1.7A in bipolar, 0.8-1A unipolar... anyway any current 2A+ driver will do the job. Wire it bipolar, set it at 1A to start, run the motor back and forth for 10min or so, check the case temp... then gradually increase up to 1.7A, stopping if the motor appears to be getting too hot (>75/80degC).

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    Yes but the 200 is the number of steps, so I'm guessing the 1.8 could be the coil resistance,
    I'm with John on this for the sake of £60 dump them.! Then all the guess work is taken away and you have modern motors and when matched to modern drives will transform the machine.

The motors on my Conect lathe are MAE HY-200-2220-100 A8 for the cross slide and HY-200-3424-170 A8 for the leadscrew.
    On the larger motor it also says 1.7A and 1.7ohms.

Although my lathe is still in bits I am going to use the original motors.

Derry.

9. Quote Originally Posted by DerryUK View Post
    The motors on my Conect lathe are MAE HY-200-2220-100 A8 for the cross slide and HY-200-3424-170 A8 for the leadscrew.
    On the larger motor it also says 1.7A and 1.7ohms.

Although my lathe is still in bits I am going to use the original motors.

Derry.
    Well thats helpful in doing the conversion from Sigma part # 20-3424D200-F1.8 The 3424 is width/length 3.4"/2.4" so these are Nema 34 size, the 200 is steps/rev and the 1.8 is probably phase amps as surmised. The HY200-3424-0170 is a 1.5Nm when wired bipolar parallel. This is higher performance than mentioned for the Sigma part so I guess thats a later (yet also now obselete) drive.

Here's a data sheet: http://www-app.etsit.upm.es/departam...pap_hy_lab.pdf

A suitable modern replacement could be this one on eBay, however I'd consider redrilling the mounting plate and using a modern Nema23 which will do the same job and be lighter/quieter/cheaper... for example this one

The cross-slide motor therefore is a 2.2" (Nema23?) 200 step, 1A per phase, and from the data sheet, 0.7Nm... A modern replacement might be (check the hole dimensions) this one

Thread Information