. .

Thread: Y axis stalling

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by richie00boy View Post
    Thanks for that, looks like they are Maplin code FK24B.

When it starts doing it again I'll swap X and Y cables over and see if it changes over. Is there any great danger in plugging and unplugging connectors on the control box when it is on?
    DANGER DANGER . . . . . ABSOLUTELY DO NOT DO THAT.!!!

You will destroy the drives which is an all-in-one board so affectively killing the control box.

Quote Originally Posted by richie00boy View Post
    Not sure what you mean there, the noise is the stalling. If the machine has been on about an hour it seems more prone to it. If I was to rewire it any ideas where I can get replacement connectors to fit the blue control box?
    That noise doesn't sound like stalling motors it sounds more like a binding or sticking bearing or tight leadnut. The leadnut is the plastic part that sits in the housing that runs up and down the threaded shaft and is located under the bed in the centre of the gantry bolted to the cross brace.

You can re-use the connectors just de-solder them.!

3. Quote Originally Posted by richie00boy View Post
    Thanks for that, looks like they are Maplin code FK24B.

When it starts doing it again I'll swap X and Y cables over and see if it changes over. Is there any great danger in plugging and unplugging connectors on the control box when it is on?
    As long as the steppers are not powered at the time... if you can turn them by hand then its safe to unplug them... I wouldnt recommend trying it when they are powered up. Normally the control box can be powered but the system is halted in standby, which is not the same as stationary but enabled (when the motors are locked). But as Jazz says, if in doubt, don't.

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    As long as the steppers are not powered at the time... if you can turn them by hand then its safe to unplug them... I wouldnt recommend trying it when they are powered up. Normally the control box can be powered but the system is halted in standby, which is not the same as stationary but enabled (when the motors are locked). But as Jazz says, if in doubt, don't.
    Irving this is a TB based pile of rubbish board and it will die if so much has looked at in a funny manner so ya can bet ye last dollar it will DIE even in halted state with the slightest spike. . . . Rich it will 100% DIE if steppers powered up and you unplug. . . Just turn it off it's honestly not worth the risk for the 20 seconds you'll save.!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Irving this is a TB based pile of rubbish board and it will die if so much has looked at in a funny manner so ya can bet ye last dollar it will DIE even in halted state with the slightest spike. . . . Rich it will 100% DIE if steppers powered up and you unplug. . . Just turn it off it's honestly not worth the risk for the 20 seconds you'll save.!!
    I run a 5 axis TB china job and plug/unplug the 4th axis stepper all the time (as irving describes,,, in standby... nothing going to motors)

iv earned a quid or two on that "TB based pile of rubbish board" so don't be to disheartened richie00boy

I must admit though, I am tempted from time to time to bin it and splash out on something slightly more robust.... on a 5+hour run its lost enough steps to have a measurable error from the origin (0.2mm ish)

No you will probably fry the card. Power down first to be safe.
    John S -

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    if you can get this to me in Cardiff, i'll do my best to sort it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
    I run a 5 axis TB china job and plug/unplug the 4th axis stepper all the time (as irving describes,,, in standby... nothing going to motors)

iv earned a quid or two on that "TB based pile of rubbish board" so don't be to disheartened richie00boy
    Didn't actually say couldn't do what Irving said just not a good Idea with a cheap TB based board.!
    I wasn't actually meaning to dishearten anybody so If I did Rich then sorry but at same time not going to say these boards are good because they are not. (0.2mm over 5 days would upset me.!!)
    They are very flaky and while mark gets away with it doesn't mean you will. This board, has will most other drives, will 100% fry if you accidentally unplug while steppers are powered up and given your new to CNC then for safety and your wallets sake that's why I say turn it off.

I was just concerned that if I turned off the control box it might reset the problem. Will power down first and if it does then will just keep going till the problem arises again then make sure the motors are free to turn by hand before I do anything.

The noise Jazz, well it's the exact same noise that I got when my friend was setting the unit up and had the feed rate really high and it was missing steps. Maybe the camera doesn't make it come out right. I'll not rule out the sticking bearing though.

Well if it does reset then you know it's electrical so you've eliminated mechanical.!!

RE noise: Ok lets take a look at the motor tuning settings.? In Mach goto Config/motortuning/ then at right hand side click on each Axis individually and tell us what it says in the "Steps per" "velocity" & " acceleration" boxs.
    You must click on each individual Axis button to see it's individual setting and if you change any settings always push enter and save before moving to next Axis.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information