. .

Thread: round rails

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickyCNC View Post
    Like you say - EACH TO THEIR OWN is what it come down to. one is NOT better than the other. :)
    Let me jump on the other side of the fence for a moment and agree with Jazz, that yes, steel is better. But it is possible to build a quality machine from any materials, if the builder has the skills and knowledge to do so.

8 years ago, most people were building MDF machines, because there weren't many other options available. Most of these people ended up building better machines, usually from aluminum, as they realized the limitations of the MDF, and as more quality components became available.

Also consider that people have vastly different expectations, and vastly different budgets. I consider my standards and expectations are far higher than most. I don't think any other wood machines out there would come close to meeting my expectations, but I know that I can build one.

You can easily build an average machine from wood, with very few tools needed. If you know how to use them, you can do amazing things with a handheld router and straightedge. If you want a pretty good machine capable of making deep, fast, high quality cuts, then wood is not going to be your best choice, unless you want to spend considerable time designing and engineering, as I do.

I think if your budget is under $1500-2000 US, then wood will get you a decent machine. If you're budget is $2500 US and up, go steel or aluminum. The extra money spent won't be that much overall and you'll be better off for it.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

Location unknown. TrickyCNC Last Activity: Has a total post count of n/a. Referred 6133 members to the community.
    I mostly agree, except on the definition of 'better'. If you just don't have the budget **, then the 'better' (more expensive) material, just wont do :)
    I just felt wood was getting a bashing on this forum - without any real reason , and wanted to make the case for it. it seems to have worked a little bit, so I am happy to have done that .

EDIT> ** or means to work with it
    Last edited by TrickyCNC; 16-09-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Location unknown. TrickyCNC Last Activity: Has a total post count of n/a. Referred 6133 members to the community.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Come on.!! . . . Do the same with an 8x4 sheet.!! Give it to Rolf Harris and he'll play you a tune.!!!

Get a grip man it's all about design and bracing.! With MDF/WOOD it means more bracing, much more to get near steel.
    Sorry, I missed this one.

I completely agree :)

I know ... and you know ... , but some people might be inclined to think steel is just rigid.

I just felt wood was getting a bashing on this forum - without any real reason , and wanted to make the case for it. it seems to have worked a little bit, so I am happy to have done that .
    AH AH . . .Lets see if they still think the same after they have taken your advice.?????

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    AH AH . . .Lets see if they still think the same after they have taken your advice.?????
    if they build it properly, it will work :)

Regards buying from china then yes there's good and bad, but that holds true for lots of country's this one included.!
    If you want a recommended supplier one that I've dealt with for years and bought £1000's worth and sent literally hundreds of people to then Chai @ linearmotionbearings is your man

Can't argue with that Jazz but at least if you have problems with a UK supplier then it's easier to try & get hold of them plus it is generally easier to get after sales support from a uk supplier. Before I spend a lot of money with any supplier I generally look around & speak to other people who have dealt with them if I can plus it's easy enough for me to give them a ring myself & ask any questions I may have. Will have a look at the supplier you mentioned thanks, having looked at the prices from a couple of Chinese sellers I can see what you mean by the difference in price not being huge. Couldn't find anything close to those sort of prices from suppliers in the UK.

Anyone getting stung with import duties and the like, from these chinese sellers ?

Anyone getting stung with import duties and the like, from these chinese sellers ?
    No Only extra is VAT which is based off the price put on the paper work and often they fill it out low so low Vat charge and a rip-off Admin fee by UK courier usually around £10.

9. I know I'm a bit late to add my 2p worth but I started out and more or less completely drew up an mdf machine before I started reading threads on this site and I think the wood bashing is very justified! Even on a tight budget steel Ali and 'proper' bearings make sense. I got change from £30 for 1500mm sbr20 rails from china - by the time you have bought Ali angles and skate bearings you have spent that... For a comparably rubbish set up. To me it's a no brainer!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHarris View Post
    I know I'm a bit late to add my 2p worth but I started out and more or less completely drew up an mdf machine before I started reading threads on this site and I think the wood bashing is very justified! Even on a tight budget steel Ali and 'proper' bearings make sense. I got change from £30 for 1500mm sbr20 rails from china - by the time you have bought Ali angles and skate bearings you have spent that... For a comparably rubbish set up. To me it's a no brainer!
    Not quite sure where you shop Joe but it cost me about 30 squid for the ally & bearings for all 3 axis on a 4' x 2' MDF machine. For what you spent on your rails I bought everything needed to build the machine & had enough change for a fish supper or two. Excluding the electronics of course which pushed the cost of the machine through the roof by comparison.

Depends what you want to do with it really but the total cost of the machine worked out to about £600. I know a guy that has been using one for about 9 months now & thinks it's great, does everything he needs it to without problems. OK it's not used on a regular basis & it's not used for any heavy cutting which would be beyond it's capabilities but it's OK for what he needs.

Only reason I changed my mind was because I wanted to be able to cut materials that the MDF machine wouldn't be able to cope with.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information