Quote Originally Posted by TrickyCNC View Post
Like you say - EACH TO THEIR OWN is what it come down to. one is NOT better than the other. :)
Let me jump on the other side of the fence for a moment and agree with Jazz, that yes, steel is better. But it is possible to build a quality machine from any materials, if the builder has the skills and knowledge to do so.

8 years ago, most people were building MDF machines, because there weren't many other options available. Most of these people ended up building better machines, usually from aluminum, as they realized the limitations of the MDF, and as more quality components became available.

Also consider that people have vastly different expectations, and vastly different budgets. I consider my standards and expectations are far higher than most. I don't think any other wood machines out there would come close to meeting my expectations, but I know that I can build one.

You can easily build an average machine from wood, with very few tools needed. If you know how to use them, you can do amazing things with a handheld router and straightedge. If you want a pretty good machine capable of making deep, fast, high quality cuts, then wood is not going to be your best choice, unless you want to spend considerable time designing and engineering, as I do.

I think if your budget is under $1500-2000 US, then wood will get you a decent machine. If you're budget is $2500 US and up, go steel or aluminum. The extra money spent won't be that much overall and you'll be better off for it.