. .
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1. Looks like you are starting to get the hang of trusty old sketchup...nice one !

How about 3Nm CNC Stepper driver Kit - 3 Axis for CNC. | eBay electronics kit from Zapp Automation?

Quote Originally Posted by Nealieboyee View Post
    How about 3Nm CNC Stepper driver Kit - 3 Axis for CNC. | eBay electronics kit from Zapp Automation?
    Power supply is only 36v so I believe you wouldn't get optimum performance from the drivers & motors if some of what I have learnt so far is correct lol

Quote Originally Posted by martin54 View Post
    Power supply is only 36v so I believe you wouldn't get optimum performance from the drivers & motors if some of what I have learnt so far is correct lol
    Yep Martin your understanding is perfect.!!

These type of Kits are one of the worst Gotcha's I see new folks get stung with.!! Those drives are 50Vdc and the motors are easily capable of handling well above 50Vdc, 65-70Vdc is common. So the up shot is that any machine running this system with 36Vdc would be running motors working at nearly half the voltage they are capable handling. Speed of a stepper is proportional to voltage and very important for good performance so the system will be working minimum 48-50% less than motors are capable.
    Also even if the correct voltage for these drives was used, 44-45Vdc then the motors are still working approx 35-40% less than capable.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealieboyee View Post

while i appreciate you looking, i've found everything i need for £255 bar the breakout board and they are all recommended items by jonathan, so unless i find those items cheaper then i have no need to look at other things

oh and i got a sneak at the saw today.. its perfect for cutting the steel i need to create this build so that £50 really was a bargain

alright guys money for my project is here... i could order everything i need 2moro if i wanted to but i still dont feel condfident my design is 100% so i need to draw in the motors on my sketchup... is 5mm steel enough to mount a motor to the motor will be belt driving the screws on all axis

2 x SBR16 supported rails 700mm length with 4 SBR16UU bearing blocks
    2 x SBR16 supported rails 754mm length with 4 SBR16UU bearing blocks
    2 x SBR16 supported rails 260mm length with 4 SBR16UU bearing blocks

1 x RM1605-C7 ballscrew+ballnut 655mm threaded section add on end machining and extend dimension F to 30mm
    1 x RM1605-C7 ballscrew+ballnut 754mm threaded section add on end machining and extend dimension F to 30mm
    1 x RM1605-C7 ballscrew+ballnut 142mm threaded section add on end machining and extend dimension F to 30mm

3 SETS OF BK/BF12 blocks (with locknuts and cir-clips)

1 x 2.2kw water cooled spindle including VFD

order for that lot has gone to china, got a really good price from chai, there is nothing on any uk supplier or even any ebay supplier that comes close, have to say very happy, cant wait to order the other bits and get the thing built now

Quote Originally Posted by wilfy View Post
    1 x 2.2kw water cooled spindle including VFD

order for that lot has gone to china, got a really good price from chai, there is nothing on any uk supplier or even any ebay supplier that comes close, have to say very happy, cant wait to order the other bits and get the thing built now
    Other sellers are significantly cheaper for the VFD and spindle. It's hard to know if there's any difference in quality, but I doubt it from what I've seen.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Other sellers are significantly cheaper for the VFD and spindle. It's hard to know if there's any difference in quality, but I doubt it from what I've seen.
    whilst i agree as a single item it'll be cheaper i'd disgree that on a big order it works out cheaper.. chai has quoted me 389usd = £242 for the spindle, if you take in to account the postage is likely to be the same regardless of wether i get the spindle or not as the items i have ordered are big heavy and bulky (i think) then infact i'm getting the spindle cheaper than ordering it direct from ebay at around £252.

given the fact chai has given me a better price on the whole order than i could have got anywhere else i'm happy to pay him for the spindle aswell

The spindle is still a significant proportion of the total weight of the things you have purchased, so the postage would have been a bit cheaper without it. Plus you can use best offer with some of the sellers on eBay to get the spindle for less than £252, so overall it's likely to work out cheaper. Even better, get the spindle on ali-express as there it is cheaper than any of the eBay sellers.

I'm not sure if Chai is still the cheapest for rails and ballscrews either since there are plenty of sellers on ali-express with them. Still, he's very easy to communicate with which does help.

What are you planning on using for the bed of the machine? In the drawing it looks like wood...which is fine if you're mainly machining wood and plastics.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information