. .
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    i had thought about them being a little flimsy but then again it's a 15" piece of 50x25x3mm steel box section, not alu extrusion so i dont really know, i would like to think it wouldnt bend but who knows. and for the record it wont be a simple change to strengthen it without making the machine bigger as the ball screw running through the center of the y axis would prevent any support being added between the 2

jazz is currently looking over this for me as i bust my 2 length limit by about 2 meters which i didnt want to do, but it's not the end of the world it's only another £30. however i have a feeling it's all going to change

Wilfy, its a good job you are such an expert with sketchup (wish I could hack it), but it looks like you are getting close to this build now Good luck, G.

i got all my help from this thread
    http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/cad-ca...iscussion.html

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wilfy For This Useful Post:

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by wilfy View Post
    i bust my 2 length limit by about 2 meters which i didnt want to do, but it's not the end of the world it's only another £30. however i have a feeling it's all going to change
    In the corners of the machine you have a long vertical piece that the ballscrew mounts to and you also have a short vertical piece that doesn't seem to be doing anything, could you get rid of the short pieces to save your self some length?

If you have a load of flatbar left over you could also use that for the cross members of the bed instead of box section, that should get you back to your 2 length goal.

i cant see how 3mm flat bar can replace a 50x25mm piece of box section, the bed bending is the one thing i'd imagine u dont want. also the upright i could get rid of, but the little white spacers are all that the rails will be mounted to. i'd rather over spend and have solid for the sake of £30.. if it was another £100 i'd be more worried

Hi Wilfy,

Had a play see what you think to this.? It's well within the 2 lengths but it does use 50x6mm (or5mm) flat instead of 25mm but you'll see why.

Although slightly taller this way strengthens and helps with squareness of quite few area's and allows the screws to be brought down and to the side which will help with crap hitting them.
    Because your using twin screws you can get away with slightly less bearing spacing so gained you about 90-100mm extra in the X axis (twinscrews) by shortening the bearing spacing slightly and off setting the rails back.

Let me know what you think and I'll tidy up the model and send back.!

Edit: Blue is 50x25mm Red 50x6mm
    Edit2: Oh and if you don't like it then don't be afraid to say so you won't offend me.!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front top.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	7881   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	full1.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	284.5 KB 
ID:	7882   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	full2.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	268.9 KB 
ID:	7883   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	full3.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	241.8 KB 
ID:	7884   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zoom1.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	443.0 KB 
ID:	7885   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zoom2.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	250.1 KB 
ID:	7886   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zoom3.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	373.5 KB 
ID:	7887  
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 06-01-2013 at 07:22 PM.

looks awesome and very professional and its funny cuz i had the screws there on the x axis the first time. i feel happier about the rails not bending on the x and y axis with the supports and i didnt realise i wouldnt need to support the back of the y carriage. and if you gained me back some x axis length then thats even better.

brilliant thanks a lot dude.. if you gonna send me the drawing can u send it as a dwg, dxf, skp, 3ds, dem or ddf... strangely enough sketchup lets you export as an OBJ but wont let u import as one :S

9. Looks like you are getting the hang of skp. What travel are you getting on you x and y?

10. Quote Originally Posted by wilfy View Post
    enough sketchup lets you export as an OBJ but wont let u import as one :S
    that's google trying to annoy you into forking out for the full version!

it is the full version... erm travel i'm looking at 400+ on the x and 525ish on the y with 100 z in mm ofc

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread Information