. .
    Here are some photos of a sawmill I built several years ago. Log capacity is 28" dia. and bed length is 20 feet. I can extend that with more sections, but generally use an Alaskan mill for long timbers. I built my house with lumber cut from salvaged downed trees on my property left by a really incompetent logging company, the prior owner. The mill took 2 weeks to build and cost about $800. It will cut a 18" x 16' long pine board in about 50 seconds. Hardwood somewhat slower. I run the governed motor at 2700 RPM, though it is rated at 3600.

The fixed spindle is a trailer spindle. The drive is a go-kart axle and hub assembly. Driven wheels are trailer wheels and tires. The engine is a snow blower horizontal shaft Subaru-Robin 10 Hp type. Large reduction pulley is 2 sheave 15", and was a surplus item found for $15. The guides are made of 3 ball bearings. Two smaller sets that the flat of the blade rides against, and a larger bearing that the back of the blade contacts. The blade guard is a trailer fender. The vertical adjustment is made by a used boat trailer winch.

I also built a log arch out of a mobile home axle and a bent heavy steel tube that I found at a scrapyard -- I think it was once part of the derrick for a tow truck. I couldn't straighten it, even with heat so I faced it up. I guess it is a log arch in two senses of the phrase!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sawmill01.jpg 
Views:	18617 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	6874   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sawmill05.jpg 
Views:	15499 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	6873   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ModelMArchsm.JPG 
Views:	1582 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	6872   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Firstfloorframing.JPG 
Views:	1493 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	6871   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TopSiding.JPG 
Views:	1497 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	6870  
    Last edited by vtcnc; 14-09-2012 at 02:10 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to vtcnc For This Useful Post:

Do you tension the blade by inflating the tyres (tires) a bit more?

Hello Boldford!

That's a very frequent question. But no, the tires are maintained at constant pressure. The non-driven spindle has adjustments for both axial angle, and distance from the driven wheel (blade tracking and blade tensioning), just like an ordinary bandsaw.

Location unknown. TrickyCNC Last Activity: Has a total post count of n/a. Referred 6117 members to the community.
    Very interesting ! I'll have to look into that and build me one :)

Quote Originally Posted by vtcnc View Post
    Here are some photos of a sawmill I built several years ago. Log capacity is 28" dia. and bed length is 20 feet. I can extend that with more sections, but generally use an Alaskan mill for long timbers. I built my house with lumber cut from salvaged downed trees on my property left by a really incompetent logging company, the prior owner. The mill took 2 weeks to build and cost about $800. It will cut a 18" x 16' long pine board in about 50 seconds. Hardwood somewhat slower. I run the governed motor at 2700 RPM, though it is rated at 3600.

The fixed spindle is a trailer spindle. The drive is a go-kart axle and hub assembly. Driven wheels are trailer wheels and tires. The engine is a snow blower horizontal shaft Subaru-Robin 10 Hp type. Large reduction pulley is 2 sheave 15", and was a surplus item found for $15. The guides are made of 3 ball bearings. Two smaller sets that the flat of the blade rides against, and a larger bearing that the back of the blade contacts. The blade guard is a trailer fender. The vertical adjustment is made by a used boat trailer winch.

I also built a log arch out of a mobile home axle and a bent heavy steel tube that I found at a scrapyard -- I think it was once part of the derrick for a tow truck. I couldn't straighten it, even with heat so I faced it up. I guess it is a log arch in two senses of the phrase!
    bravo bravo

Respect sir my name is Mahmutagic Nermin and I live in Bosnia and Herzegovina, on the website I found a picture of your machine for cutting wood, and I wanted to do something like that but I need drawings or sketches of your machine,

Thanks and best regards from Bosnia
    Last edited by mocha; 19-12-2012 at 08:01 PM. Reason: email redacted

I'm more impressed by the fact that you built your own house!! Awesome job.

Fantastic!!! Well done. G

Yep, another one is is impressed with not just the saw but the house as well. Thanks for sharing.

Amazing, so not only have you built your own house, you're dropping trees, sawing the timber to size then using them to build it. The almost free house.

Thread Information