. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    That's what I've ended up with anyway, along with a few other bits and bobs from a school job lot. I'm only interested in keeping the Boxford for making motorcycle parts, as part of my hobby/business - I restore older motorcycles or stick two stroke engines in newer ones. Anyhow, I have one of these:

and one of these:

I think the little Denford is a bit too small for my purposes so of the two, I plan to hang onto the Boxford.

So hello first of all and secondly, assuming these machines are in good standard working order, what do I need to get them going?

Screwdriver.

2. Welcome...

Normal procedure is a guts transplant. keep the steppers and spindle power and replace everything else with new drivers, breakout board and PC running Windows/MACH3 or Linux/EMC2 or a few lesser favoured flavours...

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    Welcome...

Normal procedure is a guts transplant. keep the steppers and spindle power and replace everything else with new drivers, breakout board and PC running Windows/MACH3 or Linux/EMC2 or a few lesser favoured flavours...
    Ouch!

That seems a little severe! What is the reason for that? I assume the machine is capable of creating simple shapes, brackets etc. as it stands. Perhaps when I become a little more creative I can think about upgrading the Boxford. At the moment I just want to drive the Denford, prove it works and sell it on.

I am looking at the Mach3 software at the moment as it happens but I haven't got to the bit where it needs me to "rip the guts out". ;)

Here is my understanding:

I need a physical connector either a serial or parallel lead, either to the serial or printer or USB port of a suitable PC
    Machine specific driver for the above for the Denford or Boxford (or is the driver universal?)
    Machine control program (Mach3, VR Milling, <something else for the Boxford) I assume this program handles the 3D model to machine control interface
    A 3D design package (I am a Google Sketchup expert but I don't think that's gonna help!)

I have some experience with PC packages and 3D packages and I think I'll be able to unravel the process for inputting this into a CNC device. It's early days though and for now I'd be happy to be able to simply dirive either or both of them with a very simple program just to convince myself they work.

Many thanks.

Screwdriver.

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    bare minimum to get the boxford going, is a breakout board and a 0-10v spindle board or one combined £55.

Quote Originally Posted by i2i View Post
    bare minimum to get the boxford going, is a breakout board and a 0-10v spindle board or one combined £55.
    Ok. I'm not sure what that means. There is a serial port on that machine and I assume I connect it to a PC to drive it CNC. Are you saying I can test the machine and drive it manually with a separate piece of electronics? Incidentally I am well aware I am displaying breathtaking ignorance in this subject but this is day one for me. I am however very well versed in electronics, not my favourite subject but one in which I am well qualified.

Screwdriver.

I'm missing a reply pending moderation. I'll redo it if it doesn't turn up...

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    Don't worry we all started where you are.
    Most home/hobby/light industrial conversions on these machines remove the existing old outdated and slow controller, and replace it with a computer with Mach3 installed as a controller.
    This uses the parallel port as a machine controller, this uses a breakout board to interface the computer port to the existing drivers and relays. The spindle will need a specific board (0-10v spindle board) to interface the speed control from mach3

Thank you. Yes that makes perfect sense however at this very early stage and still by way of "introduction" ;) I should explain how I operate for example with motorcycles.

I like to buy "project bikes" which usually turn up in a variety of plastic buckets. I buy them super cheap and, if it's a buy to sell, I'll pick a target value and perform a rebuild/refurb commensurate with the equity. The more they are "worth" the more time and effort I can spend on them. I think you can see where I am going with this - I have "no idea" of the inherent value of these machines.

As a newbie to this forum, I don't want to be so boring as to bang on about values but the Denford is less interesting to me since it can't do steel. So really I just want to make it work and let it go.

So at the risk of being booted out of the "hello" section: what might I expect to sell an unmodded Denford micromill for and how much is my unmodded VMC190 "worth"?

Screwdriver.

This current auction may help ... DENFORD CNC MICROMILL WITH COMPUTER & SOFTWARE | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by WandrinAndy View Post
    Yes I'm watching that one thanks. Won't know until the last second of course...

To get my Boxford, I had to buy a whole bunch of stuff from a school (including a MINT condition Harrison M250) so I don't even know what it's cost me yet! I already have an old Colchester so the lathe also gets sold to fund the Boxford.

S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information