. .
  1. Good day all.

As per the tile I would like to know if anyone here has used DAVID-Laserscanner.

I ask, as I am l wanted to do a 3D scan of an engine mount and turn it into a 3D model.

Here is a picture of the engine mount in question

The engine mount is aprox 200x240x120mm (LxWxH).

From reading the DAVID-Laserscanner wiki pages, it seems that there are two main ways of scanning an object, using a camera and laser line, or using a camera and projector.

I already own a microsoft 1080HD webcam, and red laser line, so I would want to try and use them.

But this is where I am now stuck, I have tried playing about with the software, and I am getting nowhere fast.

So if anyone here has used DAVID-Laserscanner can you please give me some advice.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards.
    "If first you don't succeed, redefine success"

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Professor View Post

But this is where I am now stuck, I have tried playing about with the software, and I am getting nowhere fast.
    It's on my long term list of things but for now, the best I could suggest is to ask over on their forum >here<.

I'm interested to see how it all pans* out so keep us updated!

* sort of a pun, slightly...

I know someone who has tried it and not had much luck. Apparently it's very hard to set up reliably, but the results are clearly good if it is done well.

Perhaps since it is a metal part it would be easier to height probe it? That's trivial to set up, but clearly you would need to probe it from more than one side.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Go to the yahoo form and seek out a guy called Dave he's known has "Qconvers" he knows it inside out and scans full cars with it.
    If you don't have much look then let me know and I'll ask him thou I won't be around here too much so email me.

Location unknown. Last Activity: 18-09-2012 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 8.
    I bought DAVID a few years back to scan violins, cellos and whatever else I might need in my shop. I don't think you'll get very satisfactory results trying to scan the engine mount you have there for the following reasons:

1. The DAVID scans give you a mesh with a lot of points that you then have to edit into something useful, most likely with Meshlab (open source) which is pretty maddening in my experience. It's not impossible, but it's not fun!

2. DAVID is not very good at undercuts. You'll probably have to fill in some areas by hand which is very painful, especially if you want any kind of accuracy.

3.The surface you get is usually very bumpy, especially if you use a laser and not a projector for the scan line. You also may need to color your object to be scanned white, as in paint it, to improve the scan quality.

4. You'll most likely have to scan your object from more than one side and then join the scans by hand, again not fun.

That said, I have used DAVID to reproduce violin tops and backs and also to make a patch for the inside of a cello top where the sound post had worn it out. They were all reasonably successful but it was quite a bit of work to get the scans to the point where they could be used. If I were going to make the piece you have there I would either make a measured 3D drawing in Rhino or another CAD program, or take a mold from the original part and cast it. Casting isn't as hard as it looks and there are a lot of websites where you can find out how to do it. Here are two for starts:

melting metal in a home foundry, backyard metalcasting, metal casting

Casting Aluminum

I love the second site: "DISCLAIMER: I am not a professional! If you do this you will likely die, so click here now: www.disneyland.com"

The following pictures show the scanning setup I built, including a motor drive for the laser, and a test cut I did of a patch for the inside of a violin top prior to doing the cello top patch. As you can see, the accuracy is only about 1 mm or so.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09076.jpg 
Views:	523 
Size:	180.9 KB 
ID:	6920Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09079.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	214.3 KB 
ID:	6921Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09081.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	203.4 KB 
ID:	6922

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Go to the yahoo form and seek out a guy called Dave he's known has "Qconvers" he knows it inside out and scans full cars with it.
    If you don't have much look then let me know and I'll ask him thou I won't be around here too much so email me.
    hello
    i im french and i used DLS in free version
    but now i am trying "123D catch" whith very good results
    you take 40 photos of the object
    they send you in 3d
    you can save in OBJ with Meshmixer or meshlab and even in STL to mill
    all is free for non commercial use

regards

I did look into it in other a threa but it turns out you have to pay for it.. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Musht View Post
    It is in limited trial ware. €329 for full fat:

DAVID 3D Scanner - Buy

Laser scanning isn`t quite as simple as aome of the demos might suggest.

Kinect scanning looks like it might have some mileage, free for non commercial use

Reconstruct your world with ReconstructMe

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

That was me, Discoball missed out the link

Autodesk 123D - Free 3D Modeling Software, 3D Models, DIY Projects, Personal Fabrication Tools

Parent of 123D is Autodesk but it`s still a work in progress.

The hit a button 3D photocopier is still a bit away ;-)

Thread Information