. .

Thread: Kress ATC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ive Looked and looked for an ATC for My currect build and nothing seems to jump out at me, and then i noticed this Kress ATC...http://www.marchantdice.com/forumimages/kress-atc.pdf, i did have a look in the posts but couldnt see any real discussion about it, has anyone any Knowlege????

Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

2. Rick,

If you like that design for the Kress then I would strongly suggest looking at Sorotec and their online shop as they have the same tool changer (and have had for longer then Marchantdice, at a savings minus shipping differences of £70 in price over Marchant Dice. It is the exact same unit and they have them for the full range of Kress from what I see. Best of luck and hope this helps.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by m.marino View Post
    Rick,

If you like that design for the Kress then I would strongly suggest looking at Sorotec and their online shop as they have the same tool changer (and have had for longer then Marchantdice, at a savings minus shipping differences of £70 in price over Marchant Dice. It is the exact same unit and they have them for the full range of Kress from what I see. Best of luck and hope this helps.

Michael
    Magic, i do wonder why nobody has made a larger unit for a little more money, say er20 or er32. but hey ho that question has been asked before... Thanks for the link ill have a gander...
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardoco View Post
    Magic, i do wonder why nobody has made a larger unit for a little more money, say er20 or er32.

I suspect it's got a lot to do with holding force, balance and liability.
    Reading the bit in that manual about bearing/seal replacement, states that if the seals have failed that bad that the holder won't release, then you can pull them out by pulling with 220N of force on the holder. With so little force, I doubt they're using a self locking taper (it takes a lot more than that to release even a MT1 taper!), which means they must be relying on friction to transmit drive. Even an INT/BT/CAT taper takes a good bit of force to knock out.
    Also with so little holding force, it won't be able to withstand much force before the holder starts to get pulled out when in use, which is probably why that style doesn't exist for larger spindles.

I would like to see one of the ATCs dismantled, to see how the pull stud mechanism works, and how they've sprung it.

Although having seen a close-up of the tool holders pull stud, it's given me an idea on something that may work in a compact format while still providing a high pull out force...

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post

Although having seen a close-up of the tool holders pull stud, it's given me an idea on something that may work in a compact format while still providing a high pull out force...
    Yes Please.. (Consider this a Pre Order)

Rick

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I won't be building any soon. Got far too many other things to do, but a few doodles would indicate all the bits would fit in, however it would need a good few calculations to see what kind of forces would be involved and if they're acheivable.

Thinking outside the box a bit, use a set of ball bearings that go under a pull stud, that are then forced into place by a spring loaded outer tapered sleeve. The spring could even be assisted in locking by air pressure, as once the tapered sleeve is pulled up, using appropriate tapers it's essentially self locking.
    Now for release, you have another set of bearings on top, that also run against a taper, but this taper when moved to release, forces the bearings between the top of the pullstud and another taper above the pull stud.
    It would be quite a complex setup, needing hardening and grinding of various parts, and that's once you've figured out how to machine all the various bits to ensure the balls don't just drop out.

This discussion is getting dangerously close to this design:

Rapid Changer

I made a prototype of that just to test the mechanism, but a bit bigger. It holds the holder reasonably well, but since it was only a test I used a random grade of steel which didn't harden much and I didn't grind it. I think it could work, but I doubt the holding force and torque transmission would be that great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09318 (Large).JPG 
Views:	1240 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	6940Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09319 (Large).JPG 
Views:	1681 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	6941Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09320 (Large).JPG 
Views:	3432 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	6942Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09321 (Large).JPG 
Views:	1939 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	6943

I bought some EN19 steel to have a go at making a proper one...
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    This discussion is getting dangerously close to this design:

Rapid Changer

I made a prototype of that just to test the mechanism, but a bit bigger. It holds the holder reasonably well, but since it was only a test I used a random grade of steel which didn't harden much and I didn't grind it. I think it could work, but I doubt the holding force and torque transmission would be that great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09318 (Large).JPG 
Views:	1240 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	6940Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09319 (Large).JPG 
Views:	1681 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	6941Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09320 (Large).JPG 
Views:	3432 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	6942Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09321 (Large).JPG 
Views:	1939 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	6943

I bought some EN19 steel to have a go at making a proper one...
    Hey Jonathan, How did you heat the items up for hardening? I only ask since I did some hardening with a blow torch and it was OK but i did some in the furnace and OMG what a difference, as much in common as sun and rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardoco View Post
    Hey Jonathan, How did you heat the items up for hardening? I only ask since I did some hardening with a blow torch and it was OK but i did some in the furnace and OMG what a difference, as much in common as sun and rain.
    Chucked them in the chimney if I recall correctly!
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Chucked them in the chimney if I recall correctly!
    next time
    , give it a try in a furnace of some description, and dont forget, bright red first time and blue the next and im sure you will be very pleased with the results..

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information