. .
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Even before welding, it's questionable whether steel box section is accurate enough to mount round rails on opposite faces, so no matter how good the welding is it's not a good plan. It certainly wouldn't work for profile rails without further machining or shimming.

How do you know?
    Because ive measured it.
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardoco View Post
    Because ive measured it.
    What did you measure from and to and using what instrument?
    Last edited by Jonathan; 15-03-2013 at 12:47 AM.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    What did you measure from and to?
    Do you want to know how i measured it or where i measured it?
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Well it's been a while since i last update due to other commitments but i've finally mounted Jonathan rotating ball nuts (oooooeerrrrr missus!), built the 70v PSU with 24v safety system and got it moving with 860 drivers and 4Nm steppers. Not moved it using Mach3 yet but only used the pendent that came with the BOB.
    Just working out the idea of a pneumaticaly controled table height if/when the pneumatics arrive. That's what my recent wanted post is for

Ok this is a bit of a strange one.....
    I have 2 screws for an axis. They move independently using the pendant in both directions but when using Mach3 to jog the axis using the keyboard something odd happens!
    At this point i haven't slaved the 2 sides together. A side of the axis moves up and down fine. B side moves up only. When i try to jog side B down it seems to release the holding voltage and spins free.
    I have to tap the key to jog side A down slightly and then side B will jog down.
    Side B then moves in both directions but side A will only move the 1 way.
    Has anyone else had experience on this?

Ok am I getting this correct your trying to jog 2 motors on same axis at same time independently and keep them in sync.? . . . To be honest If connected to gantry your just asking for trouble and bent ballscrews.!!!. . . . Anyway are you sure your not just stalling the B motor by racking the gantry or axis.?

If the B axis just moves in one direction intermittently then I'd check you Dir connection at the drive it could be loose.!!

You could have dodgy keyboard. To test if things are ok try using MDI commands for each axis if they move ok with G-code commands and they move with pendent then chances are key board is playing up.? The pendent will use the same Axis commands the keyboard does so to mach it's no different, they are just key press's.

Have you tried removing pendant and see what happens.? They could be clashing.??
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 01-08-2013 at 09:05 PM.

I've not slaved the 2 side together yet just so i can confirm each side is working correctly. I've no tightened things up yet so there's enough slack in the gantry to allow independant movement of each side.

The pendant plugs directly in to the BOB, not the PC so commands as different and with this working i though jogging via Mach would be fine.

Well it turns out that the pendant does conflict with keyboard jogging commands. If i unplug the pendant it it's fine and both side jog via the keyboard. They're now slaved together and all is good in the world for now and i can tighten things up.

Quote Originally Posted by r0bsk1 View Post
    I
    The pendant plugs directly in to the BOB, not the PC so commands as different and with this working i though jogging via Mach would be fine.
    Mach doesn't know or care what's sending the signals, it could be keyboard, pendent thru the BOB or just set of buttons on a control panel.? To Mach they are the same, It's just watching for inputs and acting on them to do the assigned tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Mach doesn't know or care what's sending the signals, it could be keyboard, pendent thru the BOB or just set of buttons on a control panel.? To Mach they are the same, It's just watching for inputs and acting on them to do the assigned tasks.
    Mach doesnt need to be running or the PC can be off for that matter to move the axis via the pendant. However you cant slave 2 axis together with just the BOB without wiring 2 drivers to the same output which isnt the best of ideas. So that rules out the pendant working independantly without the PC and/or mach. Its not a big issue but was a nice to have.

Quote Originally Posted by r0bsk1 View Post
    Mach doesnt need to be running or the PC can be off for that matter to move the axis via the pendant.
    Ok I see.! So the pendant has a pulse generator built into it. Think you'll still be able to use the pendent but you'll have to set the Jog mode to shuttle mode so it uses the MPG(manual pulse generator) to output the pulses while jogging not Machs pulse engine.? .. . . I'm not 100% on this but think I'll be close.!!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 01-08-2013 at 11:19 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information