So how many other people got a big cheesy grin on their face when their machine move freely for the first time?
I could have quite literally smashed it to bits last night! It was binding up all over the place and when it did move couldn't lift my weight! Oh yeah its gone vertical now to save space.
So stripped it all down last night noticed the ballnuts weren't square with the rotating ballnut mount so that didnt help.
It's now all nicely realigned, tacked and clamped (ran out of mig wire) and moves freely under the control of mach. It lifts me and 2 kids together without breaking a sweat. The pendant has been ditched for now.
Next on the cards is the X axis......or is in now Y.......oh I dunno......beer time
Nice feeling isn't it.!! . . . Just wait until you try cutting.??. . . You'll be chasing stuff like this for weeks, maybe months before your happy. It's all par the course but worth it.
About time we got some update pics.!
Ok here's a few pics....
Main 70v PSU with 24v safety system and 5V for BOB mounted on a temporary board.
Frame layout. 60mmx60mmx5mm frame for rails with 100mmx100mmx4mm for the upright frame. One side fell over while i was realigning the other side and flattened me!
X rotating ball nut
X ball nut and stepper
X screw clamp. For some reason i asked for 10mm to be added to the mounting face of the stepper mounts. Cant remember exactly why but that's put the 2 screws out of line with the rails. No biggy.
The camp is made of 60mm box section with 2 aluminum wedges inside that clamp of to the screw when bolted together. They also wedge thigh inside the box section. 50mm box section is welded underneath and slide in to the main frame.
This is causing me a few headaches. My plan is to join the Y 2 bearing mounts with a 20mm plate and mount the ballnut mount to that. Im also going to increase the with to 200mm
Alternatively, and this is going to mean major surgery, move the plate joining to 2 X screws together to the back of the black box section and sink them 20mm further in to X uprights. The ballnut mount can be mounted directly to the Z backplate.
Last edited by r0bsk1; 12-08-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Having the front open will mean they will bounce off back plate and escape.!
Surgery is complete but there's been complications.
The 1610 screw in the pic was originally sized at 1190mm to fit between the 2 beams joining the uprights and mount on the backplate with the stepper on the back.
The screw is long enough to go through one side of the upright plates. However the ballnut on the 2510 screw is in the way of the ballscrew support and pulley.
Without getting a another screw with an extended pulley area my only option i can see is to mount the screw between the 2 beams on the other side of the back plate and create a access hole for the belt to pass through from the screw to the stepper.
Last edited by r0bsk1; 22-08-2013 at 08:50 PM.
So some bypass surgery is now required!
I realised putting the belt through the backplate will put it at risk from swarf. I need to protected it from crap so my plan is to use a FK ballscrew support fixed to the outer of one of the Y uprights with a BF support at the other end mounted to the backplate. There's just about enough room if the FK support is sunk into the plate.
The belt from the stepper would have to come down diagonally due to the stepper being positioned to clear the X screw mount.
Temporary Y stepper mount
Also saves cutting a big ass hole in £100+ piece of tooling plate!
Ill draw it up next if Sketchup decides to open any time soon.
Last edited by r0bsk1; 28-08-2013 at 09:38 PM.
NEW MEMBER: Hello & Happy New YearBy surpher in forum New Member IntroductionsReplies: 0Last Post: 01-01-2012, 05:29 PM
By PatK in forum Gantry/Router Machines & BuildingReplies: 1Last Post: 05-10-2011, 10:06 AM
By Karl in forum Electronic Project BuildingReplies: 2Last Post: 07-07-2011, 01:11 PM
By HiltonSteve in forum General DiscussionReplies: 10Last Post: 19-09-2010, 12:38 AM