. .

Thread: It's begun....

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    Quick update and some more video later once Youtube has finished processing.
    Got my machine back up and running using my old board and luckily the transformer wasn't fried but had strangely blown the 1Amp fuse protecting the 5V output, which wasn't actually connected at the time. Replaced the fuse, clenched sphincter and turned on the power and all was well....phew.
    I had a funny with MACH3 where the same error/crash occurred when going into the probing wizard and strangely this was repeatable whilst the control box/steppers were powered, but when I tried it unpowered I was able to go into the wizard and then powered up the machine and no further strangeness occurred.
    The video shows some pockets being cut with ramp in, slot and then pocketing at 2mm DoC. I do have some chatter in the machine still somewhere, which I will try and null out. I have run some cut out paths which in some directions are almost noiseless, but in others are not, so I'll use that as a clue to which axis I have some flex in, but generally the new feeds and speeds, air/misting etc. seem to be working really well.
    Later
    Chris

The vid I promised in my last post.
    I reckon I can go deeper as the machine seems to be coping very well with 6mm Carbide cutters using these feeds and speeds, but as this was a customer part I was playing safe.

Oh whilst I remember when I put my old board back in I upped the kernel speed one notch to the manufacturer's recommended setting and the machine seems to be better (less resonance and stutters) than the lowest setting, which I had set it at initially for safety.
    I think I start looking at a 4th axis now as I have a job I want to run on some thick walled ali piping. Just trying to decide whether to buy a complete unit from Arc euro or just the rotary and make my own stepper mount/coupling - if anyone has done this I'd be happy for any advice/pit falls etc.
    Cheers
    Chris
    PS. If anyone knows how to get paragraph spacing into posts on this forum without resorting to periods I'd be very happy.

I find the enter key to be quite reliable at spacing paragraphs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pc-enter.png 
Views:	218 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	11426

Sorry, being serious for a second what happens if you try to leave a blank line between paragraphs? I'm guessing that everything is running together onto one line. Are you by any chance using Linux or some other Unix like operating system. They don't use a carriage return in the new line characters which could be misinterpreted by the editor I suppose.

Yeah I've tried that (see this post), but for some reason it shrinks out my carriage returns.

Cheers

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Washout View Post
    Yeah I've tried that (see this post), but for some reason it shrinks out my carriage returns.

Cheers

Chris
    I had same problem when got new computer that only had Explorer on it then M_C mentioned it was something to do with Explorer and this forum not liking each other, or Lee not sorting it out.!!. . . I changed back to Firefox which I used to use before and every thing worked fine.!!

Ah, it's probably this bug then. vBulletin uses CK Editor which apparently doesn't play nicely with IE10. Odd that it's not working correctly as the forum has the appropriate header that should make it work correctly even if you are using IE10. Perhaps try hitting "F5" when you are next on the site just to make sure everything is up to date. Failing that use Chrome ;-)

Does this in IE11 too...on other forums when typing a reply it misses letters out unless you turn the HTML editor off.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Thanks guys,
    I figured it would be an IE problem - not sure I'm up for a switch to another browser and so long as you chaps don't mind the periods, I'll live with it until/and if Lee fixes it (if possible).
    BTW - I am trying to find feeds and speeds for a 6 and 4mm Ball nose 2 flute carbide cutters to do finishing passes on some other parts and GWizard is throwing up 24,000rpm as too slow (regardless of the feed speed). I'm thinking that using misting/air should be OK for the tool, but wonder what other's experiences are like when doing ballnose 3D work in aluminium?
    My Youtube vids have my end mill f/s in the descriptions if that helps and I'm pretty happy with those.
    Later
    Chris

Not posted anything on the machine for a while, so here's a video of some woodwork in pine (fence panel uprights):

Hi All,
    Seems like ages since I last posted and probably is.
    Anyway the machine has not been idle (as you'll see from my channel) and I have recently done a video showing a new addition to its functionality on a fun project, which I can show publically (I figured milling a modular RIS conversion for my HW97K air rifle might raise a few eyebrows ;) ). I'm going to try and convert the rotary for CNC, as I have everything apart from the motor mount and pulley/belt if it needs it and I can't get away with direct drive:

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Washout For This Useful Post:

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread Information