. .
    Does anyone out there know if its possible to output a z control via a hp printer driver. I've just purchased vetric cut 2 d and was hoping to be able to output direct to my machine via a printer driver but unfortunately I don't seem to be able to get a z axis control. Can any body help?

Thanks,
    Paul

2. I'd be surprised if you can. The 'z-control' on hpgl is for plotters and is pen up/pen down, the commands being:

PU (Pen Up): Executes <current pen> pen then moves to the requested position if one is specified. This position is dependent on whether absolute or relative mode is set. This command performs no motion in 3-D mode, but the outputs and feedrates are affected.
    PU {x, y};

PD (Pen Down): Executes <current pen> pen then moves to the requested position if one is specified. This position is dependent on whether absolute or relative mode is set. This command performs no motion in 3-D mode, but the outputs and feedrates are affected.
    PD {x, y};

3. The Following User Says Thank You to irving2008 For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the reply. I'm coming to the same conclusion. Which is frustrating as my old dos software outputs the pu and pd commands but also has additional commands GD for depth and VS for speed etc. I assumed that I would be able to output these through the printer driver, but unfortunately.
    Thanks,
    Paul

5. Having done a little reading, it would seem GD and VS are non-standard extensions for a specific but otherwise "unspecified" machine. The use of Vectric Cut-2D and the HPGL PU/PD command would, I guess, be intended for a vinyl cutter where its knife out/knife in, the actual depth beng set on the machine for the material used. It is '2D' after all :)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to irving2008 For This Useful Post:

I guess my only option would be if a little crude would be to set my machines Z below the surface manually on the machine.
    Thanks for the response,
    Paul

It has been done. The Roland CAMM3 was a desktop milling machine that worked with HPGL because Roland primarily made pen plotters and had HPGL drivers well sorted. They didn't want to go back to square one so they created a ghastly bodge. Seriously not recommended.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Robin Hewitt For This Useful Post:

I wondering if I've found a solution. Has anyone any experience of dnc software. I'm hoping it will allow me to produce a file in cut2d and transfer it directly to my machine without having to go through my old cam program. This would eliminate having to keep swaping pcs. It would also get around the problem, that everytime I open a file I've produced in cut 2d in my cam program, it resets the data.

Thread Information