. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. hi guys and gals

my name is moray i am from edinburgh and i am looking to build a cnc router that is made from wood i have been looking at a lot of info over the last 6 months and i am not sure it has helped much i feel quite bewildered by all the conflicting info i have read/seen.

i am wanting a bed size of 500mm x 1000mm

i would like it to be acurate but fairly quick aswell.

as with other self builders the reason i want to build it is down to cost although i dont want to compromise on quality.

i am looking for other cnc enthusiasts and users near to me but i also value any help from anyone of you reading this post.

i look forward to hearing from you all and ever scrap of help is valued.

Machines made out of wood to cut wood do work, but making the machine out of wood tends towards compromising speed (material removal rate strictly speaking) and accuracy.
    It's hard to give a more specific answer without knowing what materials you need to cut?
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathan For This Useful Post:

4. il be cutting mdf ply and pine i dont think i will be doing hard wood but you never know

5. this is posted else where on this forum but i think it should be here.

hi guys and gals

my name is moray i am from edinburgh and i am looking to build a cnc router that is made from wood i have been looking at a lot of info over the last 6 months and i am not sure it has helped much i feel quite bewildered by all the conflicting info i have read/seen.

i am wanting a bed size of 500mm x 1000mm

i would like it to be acurate but fairly quick aswell.

as with other self builders the reason i want to build it is down to cost although i dont want to compromise on quality.

i am looking for other cnc enthusiasts and users near to me but i also value any help from anyone of you reading this post.

i look forward to hearing from you all and ever scrap of help is valued.

few point i am building this to cut mdf pine and other soft wood but the option to cut hardwood may be needed in the future

Hi Blackbird,

You have a potential conflict happening here.?

Your goals or desires for Accurate, quick and no compromising yet still be cost affective conflict with building with wood.?
    Wood can be used but to do it and meet all your goals then it's not an easy route and not always cheaper.!

The work involved will be far more than if you used Steel or Aluminium and won't come near in strength if made from wood without some time consuming torsion box type arrangements mixed with a very good design. . . . Not a material I'd recommend for first time machine if you realisticly expect to meet all your goals.!!

The time saving of building can pay for any extra cost steel or Aluminium cost because the machine will be earning sooner. Then you have the reliability factor because the stronger machine won't need any where near has much upkeep so down time will be minimal.!!

Wood/MDF builds are ok to get your feet wet but ultimately if you plan using the machine for making money doing lengthy working hours then they leave something to be desired unless very well built and even then in a very specific way to a good design.!!

Good luck.!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Welcome to the forum Blackbirds, new here myself but I have already learnt that there are at least 2 other people on the forum in the Edinburgh area. Michael is one of them but you will know that as he answered one of your posts, if your looking to use this machine to make money then it would probably be a good idea to at least see what sort of changes & extra cost would be involved in cutting hard woods, you may think that part of your plan is still far away but once you get up & running it may well come round much sooner than you think.

Probably also be best to be a bit more specific about what sort of help you need right now as well. Do you already have a design or an idea of a design you would like to use.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to martin54 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Machines made out of wood to cut wood do work, but making the machine out of wood tends towards compromising speed (material removal rate strictly speaking) and accuracy.
    It's hard to give a more specific answer without knowing what materials you need to cut?
    Jonathan there seems to be 2 threads about same thing can you do your MOD stuff and combine into one.?

You're not cutting anything particularly demanding (e.g. aluminium/hard plastics) so a wooden machine could be made to work, but that's the point - just work, not excel. If the machine is made from steel and aluminium, the higher rigidity obtained will enable you to cut much faster without compromising finish or accuracy, which is likely to be important if you're starting a business where you want to be concentrating on what you're making, not what you're using to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Jonathan there seems to be 2 threads about same thing can you do your MOD stuff and combine into one.?
    Done it.

Blackbirds - you may wish to start a build log in this section before this thread gets too in depth. Perhaps when you have done an initial concept drawing would be a good time.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathan For This Useful Post:

13. ok guys thanks i think i may need to go back to the drawing board as i am a total noob and dont know where to start the main reason i was choosing wood is because its a material im good with (not built much out of metal) so any advice or pointers are great

jonathan if you want i can start a building log now if thats what is best

Quote Originally Posted by blackbirds View Post
    ok guys thanks i think i may need to go back to the drawing board as i am a total noob and dont know where to start the main reason i was choosing wood is because its a material im good with (not built much out of metal) so any advice or pointers are great
    The top 10 'Hottest threads', which are highlighted on the homepage, are almost all build logs. If you read all, or even just a couple of those you'll know the vast majority of what's required since the same things repeatedly crop up.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbirds View Post
    jonathan if you want i can start a building log now if thats what is best
    Up to you...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information