. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    I really want something closed loop, and all the options start around £500.
    Options I've priced are Dynomotion K-flop + Kanalog, combined with Nema 34 steppers and US digitial encoders, and high voltage drivers which is around £1700 all in.
    HBS86 closed loop are around 500 each plus power supply.
    Here's the link to my Closed loop findings has promised M_C.!! Leadshine Closed loop stepper - YouTube

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Cheers Jazz.

I got an email back about the cost of the DMM servos and shipping, and by the time you factor in all the extra bits (cables, software etc) it's about 1900USD, before getting hammered by tax/vat/fees at this end.
    Plus the 750W servos are limited to 1080rpm, so there's not that much of an advantage over steppers in terms of where power/speed is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Plus the 750W servos are limited to 1080rpm, so there's not that much of an advantage over steppers in terms of where power/speed is needed.
    Yep and this is exactly why the closed loop steppers are going to knock the spots off low speed low end servos like this. They work just has good and far easier to set-up, non of this PID tuning etc. It's available if you want to play but they will work just fine straight from the box and infact the drives auto config handles it has default and really it is just an advanced feature if you want to tweak.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    After much looking, thinking, calculating, etc., I'm currently thinking Dynomotion K-Flop for controller regardless.

Then use the biggest stepper motors from Zapp combined with high voltage drives (£285 for motor+controller) combined with encoders from US Digital (aprox. £120 per axis for E3 or E6 single ended, or £140 for E6 differential). Then close the loop in the K-flop, as that means I can kill the power to the drives, and still have the k-flop/mach know the axis position by having the encoders on a seperate power supply.

Plus at current prices, it works out around £100 an axis cheaper than the Leadshine closed loop option, and gives slightly more power, aswell as having encoder outputs easily accesible.

I do already have one of ArcEuros biggest steppers, a Gecko G203V and all the required power supply bits sitting doing nothing, but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle of setting up the Gecko and powersupply, as if i upgrade in future, it will all have to be ripped out, whereas a high voltage drive will almost be a swap out replacement for a servo drive.

5. Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post

I really want something closed loop, and all the options start around £500.
    Options I've priced are Dynomotion K-flop + Kanalog, combined with Nema 34 steppers and US digitial encoders, and high voltage drivers which is around £1700 all in.
    HBS86 closed loop are around 500 each plus power supply.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
    Have the price of hbs86 come down quite a bit since last year or am I missing something?? These seem more and more appealing!

http://www.zappautomation.co.uk/en/h...0-ec-1000.html

That's the 4Nm ones you've linked to, but yes they have dropped in price.

I'm still going for servos though, however all time lately has been going on a couple different projects, and all money is needed to pay for a holiday. I'll hopefully get back onto this in another month or so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information