. .

Thread: operation cnc

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    No expert as you know but just a couple of things, will you get away with running 2 motors from one outlet on the power supply which you will need to do as there are only 3 on the power supply you have. Maybe Jazz or someone will answer that.
    What are you going to use to connect the breakout board to the drivers? I have actually used 4 core cy cable myself but not the 1.5mm which is to heavy, bought a couple of metres of 0.5mm for that. Same place you have listed so easy enough to buy a metre or two.
    3.1Nm motors will be ok for this, they have been mentioned in a few of the threads for 2 motors on X axis.
    Cable from pc to breakout board is about the only thing you havent mentioned. Not sure if the fuse boxes actually contain any fuses though or if they are just used to protect the strip connector that joins the short motor wires to the cy cable. Looks neater than a bit of chocolate block as well so may be the only reason.

ps. I live in Scotland so at least I should be reasonably safe on Sunday when Leicester goes into complete meltdown lol.

The 500VA power supply is adequate. A little more would be nice, but it's not critical at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcreaky View Post
    '2 x steppers for X axis 3.1nm (will these be powerful enough? it weighs a ton!)'
    Plenty.

Cheaper options:
    Emergency Stop Button - Twist Release - 1NC
    CNC4PC

where about in the citcuit should I incorporate a fuse box (I assume after drivers and before steppers)
    Since interupping the current between the driver and motor can cause damage to the drivers, any fuses should be placed before. If you pop open the drivers you'll find they're already fused, but there's no harm in putting your own correctly rated fuse in if it makes you feel better.

Can anybody recommend anything else im going to need.... or wish I had? [...] if anybody fancies a trip to leicester
    Er... me? PM on route.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 05-02-2013 at 06:48 PM.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by martin54 View Post
    ps. I live in Scotland so at least I should be reasonably safe on Sunday when Leicester goes into complete meltdown lol.
    is that because you dont have any electric, so nothing to lose?

your progressing really well with this now dude and i really cant wait to see it finished, i just hope i get move mine a long as quick as you are and overcome any problems as easy as you have.. keep up the good work :D

Quote Originally Posted by wilfy View Post
    is that because you dont have any electric, so nothing to lose?

your progressing really well with this now dude and i really cant wait to see it finished, i just hope i get move mine a long as quick as you are and overcome any problems as easy as you have.. keep up the good work :D

Sorry to disappoint you wilfy but I do have an electric supply in my place, I ran a cable up from my parents house in Surrey a number of years ago

I'm actually looking forward to logging in on Sunday evening or Monday & seeing the video of it working, I must be really sad because I think it's great seeing the videos of the machines actually running having followed the build logs.

I hope not too disappoint!

So just about to place order for the breakout board on cnc4you, er this one

so, do I buy this? Breakout board CNC Stepper Motor 5 Axis Spindle Relay HG07

or this ZP5A-INT

forget about the differences in price.... im more concerened about the stated input voltage of the first board... (7 to 55v) as opposed to the 5v USB power input the second board has

What are other people using... I know Jonathon has suggested a board.. but its in the states... and im inpatient.

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    Can anybody recommend anything else im going to need.... or wish I had?
    Looking good mate, I'm currently in a mexican standoff over clearing the garage out. :(

You don't seem to have listed a spindle, bucket, water pump, hoses & clamps for water pump, limit switches, homing switches, cable for the switches, PC, software or any end mills?

PS on the pics of your z-axis at the rear you have a few cm sticking up at the top. If you stick a couple of bits of aly in there bolted to either side it will add rigidity.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard05.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	8158
    Last edited by D.C.; 06-02-2013 at 10:30 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to D.C. For This Useful Post:

I'm currently in a mexican standoff over clearing the garage out. :(

You don't seem to have listed a spindle, bucket, water pump, hoses & clamps for water pump, limit switches, homing switches, cable for the switches, PC, software or any end mills?
    To start with, Im going to use a pencil!!!. I figure I cant cause any damage that way!. Il order one of these 2.2kw jobbies once Ive sold my wife. I also have a contact into coffee vending machines who can supply me lots of gear for this type of thing
    hmmm.. limit switches etc Im going to get it working first, then get that bit sorted once I understand it a bit more
    Got PC, Software (mach3, and linuxcnc on dual boot) and I work for the biggest industrial supply firm in the country. so tooling is no issue & cheap

re-bracing...
    That is exactly my plan!. Im also putting some diag bracing on the frame... I was also thinking on the shoulders of the gantry... coming forward....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boom.png 
Views:	502 
Size:	547.1 KB 
ID:	8159

I hope not too disappoint!

So just about to place order for the breakout board on cnc4you, er this one

so, do I buy this? Breakout board CNC Stepper Motor 5 Axis Spindle Relay HG07

or this ZP5A-INT

forget about the differences in price.... im more concerened about the stated input voltage of the first board... (7 to 55v) as opposed to the 5v USB power input the second board has

What are other people using... I know Jonathon has suggested a board.. but its in the states... and im inpatient.
    Don't cut corners on the BOB for the sake of getting the machine running has you'll spend more time chasing problems than you will cutting.!!

Personally I think BOB's are Bastards who deserve to be hung.!!. . But that's down to back stabbing mate and cheating bitch Ex-wife. . LOl . . . But seriously the BOB is the worst culprit of causing problems and dropped steps etc than any other component. Cheap BOB's are just not worth the hassle.

Both those are just OK and nothing to get excited about the (7to55V) is handy because it gives you more options to power, I don't like 5Vusb powered stuff has the USB isn't reliable enough so in any case it would get an external 5V supply.

If you want the Cream of BOB's look here but you'll pay for it.!! PMDX.COM - Products for CNC and motion control applications
    The 122 is a good board and all PMDX stuff is high quality and they are very helpful with good warranty. PMDX.COM - Products for CNC and motion control applications

If was me then I'd buy the 126 for many reasons but like I say not cheap but quality isn't and you get what you pay for.!!
    Not be impatient it will just cost you money and frustrating hair pulling.!!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

I wish I had seen this 10 minutes earlier. As ive just ordered the one off cnc4you now. sh!t

Anyway... this is an insignificant ballache compared to the fact ive just realised the garage pc (hp dc7700) doesnt have a Parallel port! F*ck

so.... I guess I need to buy a PCI card to be a parrelel port then? any recomendations do's donts etc?

Thanks for your replys by the way
    Matt

scratch that, its got a parallel port

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information