. .
    If anyone has a cheap 4 jaw chuck that they have lying around and wants to sell, please let me know, I have an Axminster/Sieg C1 Micro-lathe, would be very grateful.

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

The reason I want it is that I’m turning some Corian down for CMOY amp knobs, I’ve really struggled with a 3 jaw.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0349.JPG 
Views:	317 
Size:	408.9 KB 
ID:	7067  

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3. Yes its hard turning square stuff in a 3-jaw.

What size chuck are you looking for, think a C1 is limited to 80mm

I might still have a old 3" one that you'd have to make a backplate for, and find a chuck key to fit... its worn (its probably c1930) but usuable. If I still have it its your for £20 +P&P

Theres one here: BURNERD 4" 3 JAW LATHE CHUCK FITTED BOXFORD BACKPLATE | eBay

But a new one is only £50...

I remember John S told be in no uncertain terms that a 4" chuck is too much for the C1 lathe, so your 3" chuck sounds like the best bet. I'm currently loooking for an 80mm 3 or 4 jaw self centring chuck for mine since the one I have didn't come with the external jaws, which is exceptionally annoying.

Could you hold it between centres?
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    Yes its hard turning square stuff in a 3-jaw.

What size chuck are you looking for, think a C1 is limited to 80mm

I might still have a old 3" one that you'd have to make a backplate for, and find a chuck key to fit... its worn (its probably c1930) but usuable. If I still have it its your for £20 +P&P

Theres one here: BURNERD 4" 3 JAW LATHE CHUCK FITTED BOXFORD BACKPLATE | eBay

But a new one is only £50...
    Thanks for the offer irving, but if Jonathan thinks it would be to much for the lathe then I'll take his advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I remember John S told be in no uncertain terms that a 4" chuck is too much for the C1 lathe, so your 3" chuck sounds like the best bet. I'm currently loooking for an 80mm 3 or 4 jaw self centring chuck for mine since the one I have didn't come with the external jaws, which is exceptionally annoying.

Could you hold it between centres?
    I do hold it netween centers but its not always inline I tried the method may Dad suggest , marking the center holding againt the point then tighting the chuck it works to some extent but sometimes it out and the vibrations not doing the Lathe anygood I think. They are to thick to fit through the chuck so I can round one end off.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Fivetide View Post
    Thanks for the offer irving, but if Jonathan thinks it would be to much for the lathe then I'll take his advice.
    No that's not what I meant. The 3" chuck irving has is good, but the 4" one he linked to would be too big - so buy his 3" chuck asap as that's a very good price and work out how to make the backplate! It's easy to make a chuck key...

Quote Originally Posted by Fivetide View Post
    They are to thick to fit through the chuck so I can round one end off.
    Round one end off with it between centers then use that end to hold it in the chuck as normal? Unless you need to machine the whole length in one pass that should work...

I'm sorry I dont understand whats the backplate? But yes Ill take the chuck if I have to work it out later, dont forget I dont have that many machines or tools :(

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Backplate:https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=la...bnNceP0AXcwYFg

It's basically a disk, generally made from steel, that acts as an adapter between the spindle and the chuck so that you can use a different size chuck to the one your spindle is machined to accept. On some spindle you need a backplate to fit any chuck.

You should be able to make one with the lathe you have - I did although I cheated a bit and got the router to cut the main profile out since it's quicker. Just a 3" diameter disk with holes to match the 4 bolts on the chuck and 3 bolts to match the holes in the spindle, M4 if I recall correctly. On the chuck side you machine a shoulder to carefully match the chuck and hold in on center and on the other side bore a hole to fit the existing spindle, which again should be a close fit to maintain concentricity.

9. You can make the backplate in situ.

1. Get a piece of steel (preferably) or ali (ok for small chucks or lightweight work) round approx the right outer dia (3"/75mm) and 20-25mm thick (have a look how current chuck is mounted).
    2. mark out and drill the holes for the spindle side then bolt it on the spinndle in place of the chuck. WHat I've done in the past is actually use longer bolts and bolt through the existing backplate so you have it nearer the tool as some lathes wont reach the backplate otherwise (or not without a lot of tool overhang and you dont want that).
    3. Then you bring the new backplate to size on the external circumference
    4. Machine accurately the step to fit the chuck recess, testing it regularly until its a tight twist-on fit.
    5. finally you use the tool to score a circle at the right diameter for the holes and the x-slide to mark them at 90deg intervals on the circle.
    6. remove backplate, drill holes and you're done.

If you can't get rounds, use a square bit of plate do step 2 and use a long ended parting tool to cut into the face of the plate larger than the finished diameter of the outside, then proceed from step 3 above

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    You can make the backplate in situ.

1. Get a piece of steel (preferably) or ali (ok for small chucks or lightweight work) round approx the right outer dia (3"/75mm) and 20-25mm thick (have a look how current chuck is mounted).
    2. mark out and drill the holes for the spindle side then bolt it on the spinndle in place of the chuck. WHat I've done in the past is actually use longer bolts and bolt through the existing backplate so you have it nearer the tool as some lathes wont reach the backplate otherwise (or not without a lot of tool overhang and you dont want that).
    3. Then you bring the new backplate to size on the external circumference
    4. Machine accurately the step to fit the chuck recess, testing it regularly until its a tight twist-on fit.
    5. finally you use the tool to score a circle at the right diameter for the holes and the x-slide to mark them at 90deg intervals on the circle.
    6. remove backplate, drill holes and you're done.

If you can't get rounds, use a square bit of plate do step 2 and use a long ended parting tool to cut into the face of the plate larger than the finished diameter of the outside, then proceed from step 3 above
    Ah thanks understood could you work out full cost with postage and let me know? I can pay to a paypal account or if you want it going into bank account etc let me know :) Ill send you my address etc when you let me know :)

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thread Information