. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello my name is Matt and me and my Father John have just invested in a desktop cnc router setup. We bought this second hand of Ebay and as far as I am aware it's Chinese imported type 3040.
    We intended to use in our workshop along with our other carpentry machines to make custom designed Plaques and decorative box's.

After getting my head around mach3 we successfully started our first engraving projects untill darkness struck and the spindle motor started emitting a popping sound and started to smoke and then blowing the fuse in the controll unit. After replacing the fuse the spindle motor would run fine in low speed but as I started to slowly increase the speed the same would happen again.

I have tried and tried again to source a new like for like spindle but with zero success and was wondering if any would be able to point us in the right direction.

Many Thanks
    Matt & John

Greetings Matt and John and welcome to mycncuk.

Is this similar to what your already using / what your looking for? :

CNC 300W Spindle Motor & Mount bracket For Engraving Carving MILLING GRINDING | eBay

or this perhaps:

WATER-COOLED SPINDLE MOTOR 1.5 KW INVERTER VFD 1.5KW VARIABLE FREQUENCY DRIVE l1 | eBay

Was there any warrenty implied when you bought the machine?
    Last edited by Hobgoblin; 15-10-2012 at 10:58 PM.
    Hobgoblin.

Hi Guys 0/

how long have you had it ? because even though it may say no returns on ebay they cant sell anything thats not fit for purpose and that means going tits up with a 28 days .. standard refund time..

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Welcome to the forum Guys, lots of good advice offered here.

Quote Originally Posted by matt83 View Post
    motor would run fine in low speed but as I started to slowly increase the speed the same would happen again.
    Sounds like brushes may have worn out, tried popping them out to see if there is anything left?

Cheers
    Adam

hi guys and thanks for the replies.

we feel like we have been let down a little buy the ebay seller as we have tried to contact him several times and left several messages with no replies, we payed for the system on cash on collection basis so we are obviously protected by usual paypal protection (lesson now learned).

The brushes was the first things we checked on the spindle they seemed ok but to rule it out we replaced them anyway with no success.
    We have since took the spindle to a local company who deals with this kind of thing and have been informed that the motor armature has gone along with the high speed switching which would require a whole new rewind with a total bill of £250.00. This is totaly out of the question.

We are now looking into the 0.8kw or 1.5kw water cooled versions offered by the guys down in portsmouth, would these be suitable for the 3040 table we have and would the stepper motors have to be re tuned to accommodate the extra weight of the spindle? If anybody has any advice on this it would be greatly appreciated, also some advice on sufficient water reservoir, tubing and pump would help aswell.

Many thanks Matt

Have a look in your workshop for an “attitude adjuster” it looks like a pickaxe without the pick and take it with you when you visit the person who sold it to you and use it like the old style bartering stick. Ask him if he has a large freezer, because you’re going to use the “attitude adjuster” to turn him into a human ice lolly. I really get annoyed with people who sell things knowing its faulty.. sorry just my personal gripe lol good look in finding a replacement.

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I like the sound of this option, is very tempting lol

9. Quote Originally Posted by matt83 View Post
    hi guys and thanks for the replies.

we feel like we have been let down a little buy the ebay seller as we have tried to contact him several times and left several messages with no replies, we payed for the system on cash on collection basis so we are obviously protected by usual paypal protection (lesson now learned).

The brushes was the first things we checked on the spindle they seemed ok but to rule it out we replaced them anyway with no success.
    We have since took the spindle to a local company who deals with this kind of thing and have been informed that the motor armature has gone along with the high speed switching which would require a whole new rewind with a total bill of £250.00. This is totaly out of the question.

We are now looking into the 0.8kw or 1.5kw water cooled versions offered by the guys down in portsmouth, would these be suitable for the 3040 table we have and would the stepper motors have to be re tuned to accommodate the extra weight of the spindle? If anybody has any advice on this it would be greatly appreciated, also some advice on sufficient water reservoir, tubing and pump would help aswell.

Many thanks Matt
    Its unlikely any retuning is necessary. A new spindle motor isnt going to be significantly heavier in the scheme of things than what you have (had?) and the issue, if there is one, won't be stepper performance, but gantry loading. Budget permitting, go for the higher output spindle as you can never have too much cutting power. For the water cooling standard 6 or 8mm plastic tubing is needed (depending on nipple size), a whale pump something like this: Whale Submersible 921: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors and a suitable container of approx 10litres or so. Also see this last picture in this post for another example of a tank and also last 2 pics here for a shot of the spindle and piping.

Quote Originally Posted by Fivetide View Post
    Have a look in your workshop for an “attitude adjuster” it looks like a pickaxe without the pick and take it with you when you visit the person who sold it to you and use it like the old style bartering stick. Ask him if he has a large freezer, because you’re going to use the “attitude adjuster” to turn him into a human ice lolly. I really get annoyed with people who sell things knowing its faulty.. sorry just my personal gripe lol good look in finding a replacement.
    I'm not defending anyone here but it may be that there weren't any problems with the machine when the guy sold it. The machine had been working fine for you when you first started to use it so maybe the fault occurred while it was being used.
    Like any electrical item faults can occur at any time, doesn't help you at the moment with a broken machine so I can understand your not happy bunnies just now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information